Seller Offers Lousy Refund

corykent7
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered something online using PayPal. The item that came was not at all what I paid for. I ordered an electronic bracelet that would act using Blue Tooth, to allow you to work your smartphone. What I got instead was a plain, fashion accessory bracelet. It looked nothing like the item I was trying to buy, had no place to charge the device, no electronic components of any kind, and was literally nothing more than a fashion bracelet (and a cheap one at that, or I'd just sell it).

The item came with no information on the seller, no website or email address or other way to contact them was included (as opposed to the nice cards I receive from sellers on Ebay, or actually many other sellers found just online). I tried the email address that they supplied to PayPal, and writing them there, it appears my email was delivered, but I never got a reply. 

I filed a dispute for the item, sent pictures of the proper item, as well as the item I received, and explained all this to them. PayPal, of course, said they would reach out to the seller. Now they tell me the seller is offering a full refund if I return the item. Well it's going to cost me nearly half of my total refunded money to send the item.

Not to mention, if they are so obviously willing to scam me (sending a clearly different item, not providing a way for me to reach out to them, not responding to my emails for assistance), it looks to me like they are doing things like this on purpose...hoping most buyers don't bother filing a claim and don't bother paying to return the items. Further, whose to say they won't just say the item never came back. There's no international tracking that really can be monitored in countries like Singapore or China are they? I mean their address is just a bunch of Chinese characters, so I don't know how anyone here will know how to deliver it.

I've mailed to China in the past, and usually we get the transliterated address to mail to, so English speakers can read it. ANd still, they could say it didn't arrive, that the package they received was empty, or I returned something else besides this cheap bracelet. I mean they don't seem like they are beyond such shady practices.

Is this really my only option? Can't PayPal just debit their account, and reverse charges like a bank does or a credit card company does? If they don't, they are just encouraging companies like this to continue, and I might have to work very hard to ensure I don't use PayPal in the future. If I had done this through my bank, they could just charge it back to the company.

Am I really expected to spend nearly $15 to ship an item back, for a $30 refund, that may never arrive? I see nowhere to contact PayPal on the dispute screen, so I can explain this to them, and tell them I am hesitant to send it back due to cost and the chance for fraud. 

And, no tracking it to the point of delivery is no better, because first of all they can say there was no item in the package when opened, and that would cost me almost the whole amount of the refund.

Any ideas? TIA. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

CherDi
Contributor
Contributor
Contact your postmaster. It's a scam. Also contact your credit card. Good luck. Some of the vendors have find a loophole. The vendors don't have to refund until the return of the product which usually the vendor have sold at the same or half the price as shipping. So to go through the hassle of shipping it back to China the customer just keeps the product. But when the vendor advertises one product and sends another Inferior product. It's fraud.
Login to Me Too

revenge2
Contributor
Contributor

This is what happened to me with Pretty Plus. Out and out fraud, they admitted sending the wrong items. $80 for some cheap card holders, also offered refund if unwanted items returned. PayPal seem uninterested in bringing these people to task.

Do not worry about help from your credit card company, and what information they ask you to supply is more trouble than it is worth.

Login to Me Too

sAPED
Contributor
Contributor

So, if it's fraudulent, how do we go about getting it resolved/get a ful refund?

I sent photos of the items I received and photos of what I ordered which are obviously very different.  I thought that PayPal will review this and refund, but all they do is ask the seller who will tell us to return for refund.  It costs too much to return (this is why the seller offers this option knowing most buyers will just let it go).  I wanted to refuse this offer, but when I went to Resolution Center, the only option there is to enter the return tracking number.  I just typed in my response that I'm refusing the offer (since there was no other place to reply).  PayPal then sends me a notice that the dispute is denied because I didn't supply the tracking info.  Right not, I'm more angry with PayPal than the Seller!!!  How do we reopon a dispute???  Is there a way?

Login to Me Too

Jinny3
Contributor
Contributor

I am in the same boat as you. I was told to return the item for a refund but the address was in Chinese. I repeatedly requested a translation as the return date was impossible to reach. Then on the update of my case it stated the seller had until the 11th October to translate the address, on that same day the case was closed, stating that the address had been supplied on 6th October, and they would not be reopening the case, the only address supplied was the Chinese one. I looked through my emails and PayPal messages no translated address had been supplied.

I really don't understand what is going on with PayPal they know this scam is going on and they know who the people are, yet they continue to let them steal from us. I will not be buying from China again.

Login to Me Too

Sbriley356
Contributor
Contributor
Sounds exactly like China company Duo. Sent wrong items that have US address on it but said I have to send to China and would cost at least half of cost. Totally scam/fraud and we have no way to get back at them except warn others. I think that’s it for me buying on line 😫
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.