Seller Item Not as Described Dispute Resolution is a JOKE

Pauliewankenobi
Contributor
Contributor
I recently sold a pair of headlights to a buyer. The item was marked on the ad as used, they were tested and boxed in original manufacturer box. They also we're only 4 months old. No damage was on the items, and they worked perfectly when boxed. Pictures on the ad in detail of the items. So the buyer received them, and stated he had them professionally installed. Next day he messaged me that one headlight doesn't work. I try my best to troubleshoot to no avail, and he then stated his father installed them. He damaged the light during install, as I know for fact they worked 100% when shipped out. So buyer opens a claim with paypal. I provide paypal with pictures and my opinion of what transpired. They rule in favor of the buyer, and decide to have him ship them back to me and I refund his money. So long story short, as someone who has bought and sold many items over 15 years with a 100% rating, I can say this company sucks. Even the manufacturer of the headlights won't take them back after install for this very reason. People get over ambitious of thier skill level, break the items then expect to get thier money back. Now I as a seller am stuck with items that were broken by the buyer and can't sell. I'm now out shipping and $500 because PayPal doesn't care about facts, or loyalty. Sellers beware, this company doesn't care about fairness.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pauliewankenobi 

You haven't read the PayPal Seller Protection terms.

Sellers are typically not protected against Significantly Not As Described claims unless in the claim, the buyer showed some kind of buyer's remorse (see below). PayPal was not there when you sold it and not there when the buyer received it. They can only undo the transaction with a return and refund. Lucky PayPal didn't ask you to pay for a return label because they can with the newly update policies.

Get the item back and re-test it. And if the buyer lost the PayPal claim, they can do a 'not as described' chargeback through their credit card (which PayPal also doesn't cover you for) which will be more costly and could take longer to resolve and it is more likely the card issuer bank will rule in favor of the buyer and no chance of you getting your item back.

Seller Protection

Purchase Protection

Significantly Not as Described claims

An item may be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The item is materially different from the seller’s description of it.
  • You received a completely different item.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the item was described as “new” but the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
  • The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it.
  • You purchased a certain number of items but didn’t receive them all.
  • The item was damaged during shipment.
  • The item is unusable in its received state and was not disclosed as such.

An item may not be considered Significantly Not as Described if:

• The defect in the item was correctly described by the seller in its description of the item.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was described as “used."

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Pauliewankenobi
Contributor
Contributor
So in other words, the buyer can buy an item,destroy it, get thier money back and the seller has no recourse? Seems ridiculous to me. What would happen if I refuse to accept the item back when it shows up and do a return to sender? Paypal stated in thier email they will issue a refund after I acknowledge delivery. Just curious.
Login to Me Too

Airhaun
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's a loophole. It appears a seller (with very little to no proof) can file a claim siting item not as described as the reason.  They can also contact their financial institution and dispute the charge for the item. Either one of these seems to nearly guarantee a refund to the buyer, regardless of what information the seller is able to provide.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.