Scared over fraud investigation

Bsecret
Contributor
Contributor

I recently had a purchase/charge to my account through ebay for 2.86 which I definitely didn't do , and the seller I supposedly bought from had a really suspicious name. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right as I would know what I bought right? And the small price is ridiculously low , I use ebay alot but certainly not for anything so cheap. Basically my question is what is the process like? Is it super serious, like what am I in for? I'm terrified as I've never had to do anything like this, I'm really scared to be honest. If anyone can help or describe what the process is like I would greatly appreciate it.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Bsecret
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, during the call will I need to answer questions or anything to verify my identity? How time sensitive is this , as I'll only be able to do it later on in the day. Thanks for the continued help.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bsecret 

Firstly if you had funds in your paypal balance but not enough for the full amount then any 'remainder' would be taken from your linked funding source so that may explain the low amount that you don't recognise, so your best bet is to click on transactions around that time and see if 'part' of it was funded from your balance and the rest another funding source.

Secondly check in here and see if you had a subscription set up...

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Lastly...
If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......
1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bsecret
Contributor
Contributor
It turns out this happens everytime I buy something from ebay, only difference is paypal thought it was suspicious this time so I initially agreed. However it was all a misunderstanding so I was hoping to cancel the fraud investigation as it really isn't relevant or necessary. Thanks for the advice however , if you have any suggestions on how to end this investigation debacle I'd appreciate it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bsecret 

Call c.s and ask them to cancel...

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Bsecret
Contributor
Contributor
Ok, during the call will I need to answer questions or anything to verify my identity? How time sensitive is this , as I'll only be able to do it later on in the day. Thanks for the continued help.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.