Scams

Bwhitmore42
Contributor
Contributor
I have a purchase that I currently have a dispute open because it was tied up in shipping somewhere but I finally recieved my item but after I opened it I found a cheap $5 toy instead of the item that was listed, the seller said he would offer a $10 refund (I paid close to $80)he told me to send it back but it will take months before he gets and cost me more money. I can’t open another claim because the shipping claim is still open, what do I do for a refund and why is it so easy to get scammed this way?? The seller knows that PP will cover this refund and they keep my money!!
Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

diaz1978
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm in a similar situation where I purchased an item via an ad on instagram for 25$ and got a 4$ inferior product instead. I mean, I ordered a battery-operated device, instead I get a plastic nozzle and then the sellers wonders "if I'm not happy with my purchase" ? immediately offers partial refund (they keep the rest and that is obviously their business model) but I refuse the roll over. So I escalated to a dispute, where our friends from Paypal insist on me return the item (from Belgium to China) using a shipping method with a track & trace link. Those cost me over 50$, in order to obtain a refund of 25$. And all the while returning a piece of crap worth 4$. So no, I do not play along and started contacting Paypal over this. Sadly, customer service seems non-existent and all the message-replies I get are standard instructions on how to use the resolution center and escalate etc. They don't even seem to read my mails. I can only tell you to log a formal complaint at your local authorities as well. And in mind you'd better already part with your money; Paypal seems to support the seller instead of the buyer in these cases. Coz you know, we agree to terms&conditions when buying the item, right .... 

Login to Me Too

Bwhitmore42
Contributor
Contributor
EBAY does the same thing, obviously the rediculous fees that they get from sellers is all they care about!! It’s just hard to swallow that the scams will continue from this so called business even though they know it’s not legit!!
Login to Me Too

diaz1978
Contributor
Contributor

Good morning, I just got message that Paypal sided with me on my dispute/claim and closed the case in my favour - full refund and no requirement to return the piece of plastic back to china. I'm still wondering how they will move forward in regards to this particular Chinese seller. But hey, in my case persistence paid of. Keep on sending the message via message-centre to make your case and reply just as long as you need to, in order to get a customer support rep to actually read it, instead of replying with some copied template response. I hope yours gets resolved soon as well. 

I'm also wondering where I can actively report the ad afterwards, as it is no longer popping up on my socials but for now the links are still active. So someone is still buying this sh*t...

Login to Me Too

bellah_24
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @diaz1978 I am glad that you were able to get your refund since you just received worthless item,you are correct PayPal would not ask you to return the item. If you want to block ad of a specific website you can check it in Google just look for "How to block an ad website or just type block ad website". It'll show you the steps depending on your browser.
Login to Me Too

Bwhitmore42
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your help!
Login to Me Too

Bwhitmore42
Contributor
Contributor
After I submitted my problem with my frustration concerning this issue it was less than two days before I recieved notice back from PayPal that my money is going to be deposited in my account. I was extremely surprised how fast this was settled. I tried to go back on the website that is doing the scam and the site is gone. Amazed at how this was taken care of thanks to PayPal and your help in resolving this
Login to Me Too

bellah_24
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @Bwhitmore42 that's great news! I am so happy that your refund has been issued and your case has been resolved. You're welcome it's our pleasure to help. Just to give you heads up your refund will be credited back to your original funding source. If you paid using your bank it'll take 3-5 business days,for credit/debit card it's going to be 2-5 business days but it could take up full billing cycle or 30 days depending on your card issuer. If you paid using your PayPal balance and seller used her/his PayPal balance to refund the payment it's going to be real time. If this post or any other was helpful, you may enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. Stay safe and take care.
Login to Me Too

Bwhitmore42
Contributor
Contributor
I recieved no help from my situation, the response was that the seller offered a full refund providing I return the product paying 10 times what it’s worth so PayPal said the seller is following procedure. I even had a response from someone that said I needed to do a better job screening sellers before I purchase!!! Sellers are always sided with in most situations especially on EBay because of the outrageous fees they get from sellers. We are forced to use eBay and PayPal giants because there is no alternative, I try to purchase using other means when possible!
Login to Me Too

bellah_24
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @Bwhitmore42 Thank you for reaching out to PayPal Community Forum. I know how irritating to receive an item that's completely different from the listing. Sincd your case is still open for item not received,you have no option to open a new one. However,we can update your dispute and just change it from Item NOT received to Significantly NOT as Described. I suggest please contact us through our chat support channel by accessing the  Message Center page of your PayPal account. Look for the Chat support option and you will get to interact with our customer service. Please provide the case id number of the claim that you have previously filed or the transaction ID number so we can verify the eligibility of the transaction and file the correct claim for you. Please provide the exact condition of the item that you received. Also,if seller asked you to return it then you are eligible for full refund. You can check this paypal.com/return and activate it. If you are eligible for return then,PayPal will reimburse you up to $30 per claim. ***If this post or any other was helpful, you may enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.***Stay safe and take care.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.