Scams paying with PayPal to buy Kijiji advertised merchandise

999jnr999
Contributor
Contributor

Can a scam happen if someone wants to pay with PayPal & buy something on Kijiji, then have someone else pick-up the item ?

Should I get them to sign something once item has been successfully picked-up ?

If not, what it the best recourse ?

Thank you,

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@999jnr999 

Should you successfully received payment from buyer (because there are ways to get scammed with process of receiving money), buyers are not covered for Item Not Received claim on pick ups but are covered if they filed Significantly Not As Describe claim and you will generally have to accept a return upon refund.

I would send a PayPal invoice and mark it as pick up in the Invoice Type drop down menu when filling out the invoice.

I see in the Kijiji documentation that they accept PayPal in-app:

https://help.kijiji.ca/helpdesk/basics/paying-with-paypal-within-the-kijiji-application

But the question is, do they include a shipping address on the payment, cos then the buyer can claim Item Not Received. They say "Paying with PayPal through the Kijiji app is designed for face-to-face transactions". So let's hope that is true and hope that the shipping address is not passed to the payment when paying through the Kijiji app. Or perhaps Kijiji programmed PayPal in so that it is a friends and family payment, since they say, 

"Can a buyer retract or cancel their payment once the item has been handed over?

No. All sales are final. Items sold on Kijiji are inspected and picked up in person."

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.