Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
158 REPLIES 158

Djd66
Yes! And this is our hard earned money ! makes me SICK that this is becoming so common ! What are we supposed to do? Everything is online nowadays.. these loser scammers are pathetic.. it’s sick how real their ‘websites’ look ! And even sicker that trusted sites we use such as PayPal... won’t help us !
Login to Me Too

LSweet1
Contributor
Contributor
You can only do a charge back if you paid by credit card without logging into your PayPal account. I just got scammed for $1629 and found this out the hard way!
Login to Me Too

michaelye168
Contributor
Contributor
Totally agree. Paypal is just for convenience. When buying from any insecure sellers, I will use a credit card with annual fee (with better member service). If anything wrong and paypal does not want to help, I will ask the credit card company step in and file a charge back.
Login to Me Too

Jm3255
New Community Member
Same thing happened to me. I’ll see if ebay or PayPal refunds me
Login to Me Too

Linda3032
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me too and PayPal sided with the seller.  I called Paypal and they reopened the dispute.  I went to my USPS and they printed off the transaction - tracking number for me.  It showed that the package was from Amazon and it wasn't shipped or delivered to my address.  I scanned the document and sent it to Paypal.  No problem, they ruled in my favor and refunded my money.  Yes, it takes a little work and inconvenience, but Paypal had no way of knowing who was right or wrong.  Show Paypal proof of the tracking and they will side in your favor.  Thanks, Paypal.

Login to Me Too

UnhappyBR
Contributor
Contributor

Well some users have suggest Paypal has addressed this issue which is totally untrue.  On 2/4/21, I bought a guitar amp cabinet off Thumrest.com.  Paid via Paypal, but never received the item.  The physical address is listed as being in California, but the recipient of  funds is located in China. I opened a dispute , and scammers provided a fake UPS tracking number saying it was delivered.  Like other users post, the fake tracking information has the wrong weight and mentions bogus details about being left at the receptionist. Paypal sided with them, and now I am out of $75.00.  Yet Paypal still lets this type of scam to continue.

Login to Me Too

nylady
Contributor
Contributor

I had proof to show Paypal at the time that it was a fake tracking number but they gave me no option to show them and stopped responding so I contacted my bank and explained everything and they refunded my money. Maybe try contacting your bank which is connected to Paypal

Login to Me Too

vietanhl
Contributor
Contributor

This scam has come to me recently with $500 payment. I opened a claim to PayPal and provided proof from UPS indicating that the package was delivered to another address in the same zip code area. Let see how PayPal resolves this issue, but given the discussions on this topic, I don't trust PayPal anymore.

Login to Me Too

Just_A_Name_123
Contributor
Contributor

**bleep** paypal: they don't care.  Go straight to your credit card issuer.

Login to Me Too

Temp20210518c
Contributor
Contributor

I came here looking for help for the same scam, it seems paypal is contributing to the scam, too bad, I've used paypal for years because I believed paypal would help when scamming was evident or at least send a message to the required account email address warning of possible scamming. Time to tell paypal to buzz off, right now I'm out over $200 on ebay, I will be notifying ebay too so maybe then can help. I did notify ebay of what happened but I was sure paypal would help, not so. Right now ebay and paypal are contributing to scamming and driving consumers to more trusted online payment methods. I will let everyone I know how ebay and paypal are helping scammers. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.