Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
159 REPLIES 159

PayPal_DerrickD

Hi @crystalpepples,

I'm sorry to hear about the outcome of your dispute, and I can definitely understand your disappointment with how your case turned out. From the details mentioned, I believe we can appeal your case and take a second look since you didn't receive the item(s) you paid for. In order to determine if your case is eligible to be appealed, I recommend contacting customer service directly. If needed, you can reach customer support by clicking Contact and then "Call Us" at the bottom of the PayPal website. Support is also available through Facebook instant message or Twitter direct message.

-Derrick

Login to Me Too

Frankieb4
Contributor
Contributor

Derek, I have also had the same problem, a tracking number was given to paypal which showed as delivered, this tracking number given to paypal was different to the one given to me. It shows as delivered approx 10 miles away from my address, Royal Mail will only investigate for the sender not the recipient, I've gone back to paypal who have been hopeless, I've asked the seller to confirm the address this parcel has been sent to but now they won't answer emails. Paypal have sided with these obvious chinese scammers.

Login to Me Too

Twaquan
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing happened to me. Is there anything else can do??
Login to Me Too

marielwright
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same problem. I ordered toilet paper and paper towels from the internet bc of COVID-19 and immediately saw that the payment was going to a Company in China not California like they said online. So I went to cancel the order via email like they said I had to do on their website and the email address given was returned undeliverable. So I went on PayPal to cancel the order but of course even though it was 20 mins later I was unable to cancel. So I opened a dispute and waited 11 days ...Now I find out that the company provided a FAKE tracking number. When I try to follow it there is no information and this company is definitely a scam! I never wanted these products from China! The whole reason I needed them was because of the virus coming from China...why would I want products from there right now?? If PayPal doesn’t refund my money immediately I will cancel all future dealings with PayPal bc they are as untrustworthy as the Foreign companies they allow to take our money in the first place! I always thought PayPal was a reputable company with honorable business practices but if they do not handle this matter accordingly in my favor I will NEVER use their service again! I’ll let you know what happens as soon as I know!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marielwright 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ivwshane
I’m dealing with the same thing right now. Thanks for the tips. I thought PayPal was a secure service but apparently not. If I don’t get a refund I’ll be canceling my account. To have this issue for several years now and not be addressed is criminal. I also suggest people file a complaint with the bbb.
Login to Me Too

gotscammedinWA
Contributor
Contributor

I just got scammed for $99 the USPS said it's not to my address and it was 9oz, not the generator that I bought.

I posted the info from the USPS but PayPal ignored it, what a joke, how many people have contacted them about the same seller?

I imagine everyone they ship to was scammed, how do they not get it?

Login to Me Too

GoJPznsMqJ7FSn
Contributor
Contributor

This happened to me. This must be what all those mysterious seed packages from China people were getting. They were generating cheap tracking numbers. Of course!

Login to Me Too

Orangeweezie
They didn't change anything. This just happened to me and PayPal backed up the scammers and now I am out the money I spent an item I never received!! Never using PayPal again!!! NEVER!!
Login to Me Too

2Hills4Me
Contributor
Contributor
I wanna do a deep TLO Search on these people and scare the HELL out of them by notifying them of our knowledge in what they are doing... A nice, loud batter-ram to their front door would be quite rewarding, not to mention letting them know they messed with the wrong person.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.