Scamming seller used fake tracking number, PayPal automatically sides with scammer, twice.

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Here is what happened. eBay seller sends out a fake package with speedpak tracking number. The item is send to my city in Canada, but not to my address on file. I have confirmed this with Canada Post. I open up a claim, and after few days, I was informed PayPal ruled in favor of the seller. Apparently, according to PayPal agent, as long as there is a tracking number that shows something has been delivered to the same Canadian city, PayPal will automatically side with the seller. Actual address is NOT checked, item is considered delivered as long as it is the same city. So I appeal, and provide my communications with Canada post, along with explicit request to get proof from seller that the item is shipped to my PayPal address on file. 12 hours later, I got the exact same message again, PayPal ruled in sellers favor because tracking shows the item has been delivered to my city. There are no new seller response in the case, and apparently none of my messages or evidence is even looked at. Now I need to spend even more time to call up paypal tommorow, and possibly just have the same thing happen again. (I.e have my evidence ignored and case automatically dismissed). How do I deal with this? Can I get someone at PayPal to actually look at my evidence and get proof of correct delivery from the seller, or should I just go do a credit card charge back. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cdb6 

Paypal disputes for non receipt are pretty much automated, seller provides tracking = seller normally wins.

Then you have to do some leg work yourself to appeal....

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
158 REPLIES 158

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dimeron 

Go for the credit card chargeback is your best bet.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Dimeron
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Have confirmed with a PayPal manager, PayPal will always rule in seller's favor as long as they provide a tracking number, and the tracking number shows the item has been delivered somewhere in your city. PayPal will not ask the seller for proof that they delivered the item to the correct address, nor attempt to mediate between the seller and buyer.

Only option is pretty much just do credit card charge back, and present the evidence to the credit card company.

Did some searches and looks like this is an old scam, can't believe ebay/PayPal still has not patched this loophole.  Apparently, all one need to do to scam a buyer is just send an empty envelope to the wrong address in the same city.

Buyers beware, or just don't use paypal unless you absolutely have to.

Login to Me Too

AprilDeeceee
Contributor
Contributor

Also happened to me from a China scam seller got off FB ad. Same happened I got proof from usps it was not my address and was a 1 oz. envelope not a bicycle. They ignor the proof I sent and the directions to appeal are not available. There is NO BUYER PROTECTION FROM PAY PAL. I am out $150 and Pay Pal is nowhere to be protecting me. If I had used one of my credit cards they would’ve protected me immediately. I have proof of emails the  seller strung me along to wait for delivery, than never came,and every time I asked for a tracking number but was never given. I also gave proof of USPS his tracking number that was given that it was not to my address and it was a 1 ounce package. But they sent me back that the claim was denied because seller gave tracking number. It’s like they don’t even read or look over anything from the buyer. And they are allowing scammers to steal their customers non-money through their site .  Knowing all the loopholes Pay Pal has, not really protecting their customers. I have tried calling,  feedback response, resolution center, email to Service to Pay Pal which was recommended by customer service when I called. They just give you the runaround. I just may go to my local News. I have breast cancer and going through treatments and I don’t need this extra stress. Nor the loss of money at this time of my life.

Login to Me Too

frustratedjay
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, they ignore the clear evdience 

Login to Me Too

Orangeweezie
Me too. This happened to me. It is hard to eat all that money when these bozos scam you and not only get away with it, they actually have PayPal backing!! Never again will I use PayPal for any reason, NEVER!!
Login to Me Too

Moniquen16
Contributor
Contributor
I had the same thing happen to me. I stopped using PayPal and I told all my family and friends. PayPal will be seeing a drop in their stock real soon. People are starting to get tired of being ripped off.
Login to Me Too

frustratedjay
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, I'm telling all my FB friends, I'm mad

Login to Me Too

Texaskaz
Contributor
Contributor
I have had two scams with fake tracking. Why does PayPal allow? Might be done with PayPal
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Texaskaz 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give some buyer and some seller protection. However that protection can never be a 100% coverall so you need to read it so you can risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.