Scamming, PayPal response is outrageous

Clay23
New Community Member

I purchased some clothing from a website and what I received was significantly different from what I ordered. It turns out that the company in China ripped the photographs from a legitimate website and made awful cheap copies. I reported it to PayPal in June. After waiting until today - they have told me to return the item tracked at my expense to the company in China before I can claim a refund. Who should pay for the return postage in a case like this? The business in China committed fraud. I don't see why I should pay for it to be returned to claim a refund.  I use PayPal for 2 online shops and frankly don't want them to have my business after this!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

SummerWind
Contributor
Contributor

Similar situation here. Item I got was nothing like what I ordered. Vendor refused to correct the issue without me sending twice as much money for the item i had already paid for. Paypal was useless. Shut the claim down immediately, siding with the vendor saying they had delivery confirmation. Didn't matter to paypal *what was delivered. Could have been air for all they care. I'm looking for alternatives to Paypal from now on. I don't want to give them my business if they protect these scammers.

Good luck. I hope your resolve your issue.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SummerWind 

@Clay23 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.