Scammers

Catty14katy
Hi everyone right I really need help! OK so I've been trying to find items my kids won't for Christmas cheaper on Facebook and shpock and I found a seller with an unbelievable deal thought it was amazing. I told them about how I got scammed a few months ago and they seemed very shocked they said how sorry that it happened and they don't know why anyone would do that to a child so she said I'm going to put a couple of freebies in because of this so I was like over the moon couldn't thank her enough. So when it came to paying I went on PayPal thought I'd clicked goods and it came up afterwards saying friends and family. I was praying this person was genuine she was in touch a little saying it would be delivered on Thursday (just gone) and everytime I asked for the tracking number she gave me some excuse about being in hospital with her son. ( I was hoping it wasn't an excuse at the time.) so I waited Thursday came no package I messaged her again and at this point I hadn't heard back from her in 3 days. Friday came still not package so I went to message her again and she had only gone and blocked me!!! I couldn't believe even after she knew we only got scammed in May and my daughter then didn't get anything for her birthday because of it and she knew it would be the same for Christmas as it was every last penny I had. I'm so upset I feel like an absolute failure I've let my daughter down because all the lol things she wanted that I paid for she now can't have so she is now getting next to nothing for Christmas. I'm so upset and angry that somebody would do this too a child after being so nice saying all she wanted to do was help people and give please things they couldn't usually afford. I thought she was a Saint I honestly said thank you so much to her so many times I couldn't count and then she goes and does this! Still had no package and I know now that it will never come. I don't know what I'm going to do honestly I've messaged PayPal because they ruled the dispute in her favour because it said friends and family so I've explained that it shouldn't of been that. If we can't get out money back then Christmas will be ruined for us all. If anyone has any ideas of what I should do please let me know. Thank you in advance Katy x
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Catty14katy 

Great deals / Facebook = scams normally.

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

You also 'risk' having your account limited as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.