Scammers selling Drones on Facebook

Kiwial
Contributor
Contributor

Why is PayPal still actively working with Scammers operating out of China who are advertising high quality drones and products for sale on social media sites and sending cheap fake children's toys, conning people all over the world out of money. Paypal Insisting all products must be sent back to the scammers before getting a refund. Customs and Police destroy fakes from criminal elements to stop them, Yet paypal insist we return the Fake items back to the criminals so they can carry on with their criminal activities using PayPal. They don't even have to restock to carry on the con because PayPal make sure that they are well stocked with all the returned fakes people have to send back before trying to get our money back. Why doesn't paypal treat these scammers for what they really are ? Criminals using deception and false advertising to steal money off unsuspecting consumers all over the world through PayPal. Paypal confirmed to me that it was a Chinese company sending drones out of China and they have had lots of complaints about them. Today you can still be conned out of money because paypal is ignoring its customer complaints about this company. Very disappointed with paypal

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Edmund2
New Community Member
I have also had this happen to me. I ordered a Drone that was advertised as high quality and paid extra for a 4K HD camera and extra battery as well as express shipping. What I received was a toy drone nothing close to what I bought. I have notified the sender, the shipping agent and PayPay and have gotten the run around. I am surprised that Facebook and PayPal have not shut these scammers down to protect the people, like myself, who have fallen victim to these criminal scammers. FOLKS: Remember as I have been reminded "If it sounds too good to be true, it is too good to be true". Don't fall for these scam sites.
Login to Me Too

lot249
Contributor
Contributor

This drone scam has been running for a long time.  I got suckered in and lost a large amount of money.  Don't trust anything coming out of China.  What is advertised is not what you get.  They are outrageous in there offer for the amount of money they ask.  This should be your first red flag.  DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA!!!!!!!!!

Login to Me Too

Vermaric
Contributor
Contributor

That's a good question, after checking details, addresses before purchasing I eventually went ahead and ordered a drone, since then nothing...
I didn't see any negative feedback on Facebook, in fact there appeared to be many happy customers, so today I've reported the goods to PayPal as not being received, now they are "reviewing" my case.

One comment I will make is Facebook are running lots of these ads, and they must be aware if they are indeed scammers, Facebook is quick enough to suspend accounts for what they consider "hate speech, fact, and truths" etc. etc. etc. so why are Facebook allowing these ads to continue if they are indeed scammers?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vermaric 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.

So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vermaric
Contributor
Contributor

Already made a report today and PayPal have acknowledged.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.