Scammed

Pafoz
Contributor
Contributor

I am embarrassed to admit that I used paypal to pay some scammer who promised to send me some adult content as a gift for my generosity. Scammer was very sweet talking and attentive  until I send payment. I did not receive anything back for my payment as promised and when I complained and asked for my money back I only got threats from scammer and got immediately blocked on the chat site.

I already reported it to paypal and wanted to know what usually  happens in such cases.

Many thanks in advance.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pafoz 

How did you pay ie which paypal option AND what was listed on that payment as to what it was for??

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Pafoz
Contributor
Contributor
I used "products and services" option. I didn't put any description ! Many thanks for your interest and help.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pafoz 

If you filed non receipt then you may be ok, but if it was SNAD then you would lose if you had 0 information as to what you were paying for and a description.

Have you escalated the dispute to a claim? If so then all you can do is wait for paypals decision.

If you lose then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then you could see if they will help you via a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pafoz
Contributor
Contributor
Yes I filed a claim for non receit because I did not get anything. I went through Paypal's rules and they say that commercial accounts can only be used only by the merchant. Scammer showed up as a femal yet the name on the account was a man's so I reported it as fraud/suspicious hoping pp will freeze their funds before they cash out. Incident happened less than a week ago but pp is not very responsive. Definitely I will go for credit card chargeback if pp declines to pay back.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pafoz 

Did you escalate to a claim???

If so then normally paypal gives the seller 10 days (longer if international etc) and then if no response they review / ?refund within 48 hours of that timeframe.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pafoz
Contributor
Contributor
I understand I need 20 days before escalating it to a claim. I already used any means available to inform pp of the scam but so far they ignore me and by that time scammer will have cashed out my funds and I doubt whether pp will refund. Scammers know their game quite well I guess and I definitely deserve whatever might come
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pafoz 

You can escalate 7 days post payment but you MUST escalate before 20 days post opening the dispute or it will time out.

If you win a dispute and the seller does not refund then paypal will do so under their buyer protection policy.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pafoz
Contributor
Contributor
How can I escalate at 7 days ? They only let me file a case against scammer and wait for 20 days after which it's on pp's judgment. That's my understanding so far.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @Pafoz,

I'm sorry that the information regarding escalating to a claim was misunderstood. If a dispute is not escalated to a claim within 20 days, the case is closed. You are not supposed to wait 20 days before escalating, as that would mean that the case would be closed. Once escalated, that is when PayPal will make a decision regarding what happens next. Until that time, the dispute is a conversation between the buyer and seller, on the record, without intervention by PayPal.

I hope this helps clarify.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.