Scammed

VladManzh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I just got scammed by someone who hacked into my friends messaging account. "My Friend" asked for some money because he didnt have any on him and I trust this guy and it sounded just like him. So he sends me his paypal info which to send it. I did and that was it. The next day he messages me saying that was not him and that i just gave money to some random person who hacked into his messaging account. How can I get it back? Ive tried contacting Paypal by email and a phone call but all i get are robot assitants that cant help with my problem. How do I contact a real person? I need help getting this money back somehow.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VladManzh 

Depends how you sent it, if you used the friends / family option then you sent a 'gift' of money to someone and so you have no paypal buyer protection.

If you funded it via a credit card then you could try asking them for help but again they may refuse as it was not a purchase for goods.

If you used the goods / services option then file a dispute for non receipt of item.

This is a common scam, you should always contact the 'friend' another way ie text or phone to confirm its a genuine request.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VladManzh 

Depends how you sent it, if you used the friends / family option then you sent a 'gift' of money to someone and so you have no paypal buyer protection.

If you funded it via a credit card then you could try asking them for help but again they may refuse as it was not a purchase for goods.

If you used the goods / services option then file a dispute for non receipt of item.

This is a common scam, you should always contact the 'friend' another way ie text or phone to confirm its a genuine request.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.