Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kristinedczb 

If you paid using goods/services you can open a dispute via the resolution centre in your paypal account.

If you used the friends/family option then you sent a gift of money and so have no buyer protection. 

However IF you funded that payment via a credit card then your card issuer may help you, however they may well refuse for the same reason ie that it was a gift payment and not a payment for goods or services.

If you used f/f and did not use a card then you are reliant on the other party refunding you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
94 REPLIES 94

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Unfortunately not really - if you sent money that was intended for a purchase and used the "Friends and Family" option instead of "Goods and Services", sorry to say, you have been had.  The PayPal system sees "Friends and Family" as one person simply sending money to another person - not an item purchase.   You can try to open a dispute however, it's possible the system won't let you proceed because the reason was "Friends and Family".

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jforbes15

If you funded that paypal payment via a CREDIT CARD then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Not all will do so but worth a shot.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Chrisfysio
The same applies when funded the payment via a Debit card?
Login to Me Too

frnkstr

This was helpful! Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Newbie42
Contributor
Contributor
@kernowlass I have a similar situation and paypal agent suggested me to dispute through my bank as I used my debit card to pay. Now my bank is saying if I had chosen ‘Friends and Family’ type to pay through PayPal, they can’t assist the chargeback! Any suggestions? Many thanks 🙏
Login to Me Too

TeresaC1981
Did you get your issue resolved ? Having same problem
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adam1

Hi @TeresaC1981, thanks for posting in our Community! I'm sorry to hear that you've had trouble with a payment. Friends and family payments are intended to be used for things like paying a friend back for lunch or sending a gift payment to family. These types of payments aren’t covered by PayPal’s Purchase Protection. You can find full details on Purchase Protection here. When there's a problem with a friends and family payment, we strongly encourage the sender and recipient to work together toward a resolution. If a resolution can't be met and you paid via card or bank, you may want to reach out to your financial institution to seek other dispute options. -Adam

Login to Me Too

Kathcovy
Contributor
Contributor
Yep PayPal don't want to know. I send £241 in total to a friend of a friend for some TV stuff. He's done a runner with my money and I am left with nothing. Surely all PayPal have to do, is remove from his account and give back to me!!! I have proof of nothing sent, as he said in a text message he hadn't, nor was he going to send!! That's the last time I use PayPal!!! Been a member for about 20 years
Login to Me Too

Alexander207
Contributor
Contributor
Did you get your money back?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.