cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed through Friends & Family

SOLVED
New Community Member

Scammed through Friends & Family

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Re: Scammed through Friends & Family

Unfortunately not really - if you sent money that was intended for a purchase and used the "Friends and Family" option instead of "Goods and Services", sorry to say, you have been had.  The PayPal system sees "Friends and Family" as one person simply sending money to another person - not an item purchase.   You can try to open a dispute however, it's possible the system won't let you proceed because the reason was "Friends and Family".

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Unfortunately not really - if you sent money that was intended for a purchase and used the "Friends and Family" option instead of "Goods and Services", sorry to say, you have been had.  The PayPal system sees "Friends and Family" as one person simply sending money to another person - not an item purchase.   You can try to open a dispute however, it's possible the system won't let you proceed because the reason was "Friends and Family".

Tags (1)
Volunteer Advisor

@jforbes15

If you funded that paypal payment via a CREDIT CARD then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you.

Not all will do so but worth a shot.

Advice is voluntarily given.
Kudos / Solution appreciated if I helped you.

Unfortunately PayPal endorses scammers on their platform. I was scammed today, not knowing that there is no recourse when paying F&F. A company as big as Paypal should be ashamed and should be working to solve this problem, not telling me to take it up with my bank. I'll be closing my account and encouraging everyone within earshot to do the same.

Volunteer Advisor

@FrankP1

The clue is in the name, if they are not a family member or mate then why would you pay that way.

Equally when you do select that option it shows you x2 options and on x1 of them it states that you have buyer protection.

Lastly if you bothered to read the 'short' section on buyer protection before you started using paypal to buy items then you would have seen what coverage you have.

Paypal gives you buyer protection but you chose to negate that protection.

The internet is riddled with people telling stories of being scammed through F&F on the PayPal platform. It is a problem that needs to be addressed. I don't want to hear about "well if you are using F&F you should know the person". I honestly took it as transacting with a person vs. transacting with a company. Easy for PayPal to just look the other way and shrug their shoulders, but people should expect more from them, their customers should expect more from them. It is an obvious problem when scammers know exactly how to use the platform to scam people!! Defend them all you want, it's a **bleep** way to do business, and I'm done using the platform. I won't be a blip on their bottom line, but of all the complaints that I see here as well as growing options to transfer money, hopefully they become irrelevant, just for the simple fact that they don't protect their customers. 

And to be clear, when you select F&F, there are no warnings about being scammed; they promote it as a transaction with no fees!! Who isn't going to look at that and say, well that probably makes more sense to use. 

Volunteer Advisor

@FrankP1

The warnings are on 'buyer protection' that you are supposed to read before using paypal to buy goods AND when you go to send money > it clearly states buyer protection on goods / services BUT DOES NOT say that on friends / family so you can read both before you select the option that you want.