Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
94 REPLIES 94

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankP1 

Well OF COURSE there are scammers on paypal, there are scammers everywhere, where have you been???

Do you think paypal should check every single person in the world to see if they have a criminal record first before they allow them a paypal account?

The fact that there ARE scammers is the reason WHY paypal give you 2 options.

Friends/family to SAFELY send to mates and family members gifts of money free of charge if you don't use a card OR good/services if you are paying for a purchase.............its not rocket science and not sure how they can make it any more clear for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

FrankP1
Contributor
Contributor

OR PayPal can offer 1 option and protect their customers!!! I get you're carrying water for these guys, but fortunately there are way more options to send money. PayPal may have forged the way, but they are a dinosaur in the space. THAT is not rocket science!! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankP1 

I do not carry the water for anyone, I often speak against paypal policies and do not agree with all their terms and conditions.

However they DO protect their customer, as long as you select the correct option to pay then you get buyer protection.

If you choose to select the incorrect option then sadly thats your own bad decision and you should take responsibility for your mistake.

I was scammed once > learnt from it and moved on, I did not blame anyone else for my silly error.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrankP1
Contributor
Contributor

Well I guess it's pretty obvious that I just expect more from a company than you. Imagine this happened with a bank? Imagine this happened with a credit card?? It used to happen, but then the credit card companies learned that their customers and reputation are more important than their 3% fee. If this happened on a credit card, they would protect me - in fact that was your actual remedy if I recall. Imagine they also had someone who voluntarily gives advice blaming a customer that they just should've known better. There are hundreds or maybe at this point thousands that have been scammed. It's literally a topic talked about as much as their services. You bet I learned how to not get scammed again, I'll use a platform that cares for it's customers.  Here's a pail for that water pal...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankP1 

Yes of course credit cards protect you as you are not sending FREE payments to family/friends with a credit card are you?

BUT if you sent a BANK TRANSFER and imputted the wrong account number then you may well not be able to get your money back.

Also if you actually READ my post on friends / family payments I actually said this................

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Each company is different in what they offer and so you need to read up on them.

However I will leave you to just give abuse and insults as that is the usual thing folks resort to when they have lost an argument.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

FrankP1
Contributor
Contributor

My apologies if I hurt your feelings, but you reiterating that "it's our fault" - hundreds or thousands of us, is disingenuous. Show me another platform that has this much scamming going on. At this point I must believe that you just copy and paste your response to this issue. 

I'll let the community decide whether I lost this argument, not you. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FrankP1 

It would take more than that to hurt my feelings, i just feel hurling insults a bit silly.

And to be honest if you used the friends/family option to pay for goods or services then it is your fault isn't it...........even credit cards have declined chargebacks if you have used that option.

As for another platform that has scammers then there are plenty, scams are going on worldwide, its just most times folks blame the scammers and not the credit cards / debit cards / bank accounts etc that they used to pay for those items when they were scammed.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LozDawgg
Contributor
Contributor
It's not our fault they dont make it clear enough that they dont cover your "bleep" from every angle... they should do as they should know that scammers are around. If you put a reference other than gift then it is clearly not a bleeping gift.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LozDawgg 

Its quite easy, was it a member of your family you sent the money to?

Or was it a close mate? If not then why would you use that option?

Not sure how much clearer you need it !!

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Hippeboy
IRecently lost 550 dollars 😞
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.