Scammed over friends and family

reeddeer
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a piece of software at full price from a third party, but he says he wants me to pay throu friends and family because that provides him protection in case i try to scam, but he then stops emailing back once i send him the money, what should i do besides contacting my bank for a chargeback on my card.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@reeddeer 

Not much else you can do since this is over the internet unless you got this dude's shipping address and you can report it to the authorities.

Friends and family payments are considered "gift" payments and have no purchase protection. You may chargeback with your card but they can also potentially deny your claim since it is a "gift" payment so you have to try and see.

Playing devil's advocate: Now if you paid through friends and family with a card, this would be considered a cash advance so how can you dispute taking out a cash advance.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@reeddeer 

Not much else you can do since this is over the internet unless you got this dude's shipping address and you can report it to the authorities.

Friends and family payments are considered "gift" payments and have no purchase protection. You may chargeback with your card but they can also potentially deny your claim since it is a "gift" payment so you have to try and see.

Playing devil's advocate: Now if you paid through friends and family with a card, this would be considered a cash advance so how can you dispute taking out a cash advance.

Login to Me Too

reeddeer
Contributor
Contributor
it was a debit card, and i have contacted paypal and they have opened a dispute for me
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@reeddeer 

Okay, let's see what happens. Please post an update, thanks.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.