Scammed - item not received but signed & delivered

Irfaan-07
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all I’m very new to this, my first post actually. If anyone can advise me I would be extremely grateful. I find myself in a really terrible situation where I have been 'scammed' and have lost £940 as a result. I saw an iPhone advertised on Shopock (application where you can buy used and new goods). After negotiating on price, I contacted seller on his mobile and we came to an agreement that I would pay the seller £940 for the iPhone. I transferred £940 via PayPal to email address provided by seller. My PayPal set to pay after delivery so I assume I would be fine. I contacted seller to provide proof of postage and tracking reference number. The seller did not respond. After making Payment I also received message from PayPal that payment was “marked suspicious” which I didn’t see until the following day. The seller was then supposed to post the item via Royal Mail guaranteed next day delivery to address i gave via text message and same address marked on PayPal. I expected to receive item by 1 pm the following day. At 12:02 pm the following day, I received an email from seller stating “Have fun using a knackered phone 😂” I checked PayPal where I obtained the tracking reference number. I was shocked that the tracking reference number provided by Pay showed that the item had already been signed and delivered!!!!!! The item was shown delivered somewhere that is miles away from my address!!!!!!!! I have not received the iPhone at the address i have specified and it is most definitely not my signature. My name is spelt completely incorrectly. After speaking to Royal Mail they have also confirmed it was not delivered to the address I gave to seller. They could not give me any more information i.e. exact address of where iPhone was sent to. I have tried contacting the seller informing him I had not received the iPhone but I cannot make contact with seller. I only have tracking reference which i had to obtain from PayPal. The proof of postage from Royal Mail would certainly show where item was delivered to but as stated above i cannot make contact with seller anymore. I have contacted PayPal informing them of what happened and they have started a resolution case. I’m unsure as to how long it would take them exactly. I have reported it to Action Fraud already and spoke to my bank but they weren’t exactly very helpful. If anyone has been through anything like this what have your experiences been with PayPal? What’s the likelihood of me getting my money back? I’m going crazy just thinking about it. Thanks in as advance

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Zaijal
Contributor
Contributor

This is pretty awful and hopefully you get your money refunded. I would recommend using the Resolution Center here on PayPal and submitting your issue there. They will actually have professionals look into it and you will likely get your money back. They are pretty good about fraudulent transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/disputes/

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

Zaijal
Contributor
Contributor

This is pretty awful and hopefully you get your money refunded. I would recommend using the Resolution Center here on PayPal and submitting your issue there. They will actually have professionals look into it and you will likely get your money back. They are pretty good about fraudulent transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/disputes/

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.