Scammed by someone in Bristol

Naf1231
Contributor
Contributor
I put my camera and lense up for sale on gumtree two days ago and recieved an offer from a buyer offering a little more delivery as they needed the item. I took down the persons name and number we spoke via whatsapp and i mentioned bank transfer and he didnt agree and then he mentioned paypal and said we can have the sellers and buyers agreement and its safe for both of us. I thought ok so i sent my paypal name and email for my paypal id. I then recieved an email from paypal mentioning that i have recieved a instant payment request and for the funds to be in my account i need to send them a tracking number. And as i was unsure as i have never used paypal this was the first time i checked online with the paypal procedure and everuyhing seemed lile the process was right. Anywho i went to post my items in the post my items were camera and lense. I got the confirmation code and replied back to the email and recieved another email mentioning that paypal have the money and i should not worry. And in the email it also stated that i should havr the funds in my account by 10am i checked my paypal account nothing was there so i messaged the buyer if they had recieved the item and they said yes. At which point i got a bit suspicious i called paypal to confirm everyyhing and told them the transaction id and they said they nothing on there records. I have been crying and so upset as i have 3 children and this camera meant alot for me to sell as i really need the money. After speaking to paypal the guy wasnt listening and kept sayi g other things. Ive reported the crime to nib and their looking into it. Ive spoke to paypal again and also gave them the email which i recieved the mail from they mentioned that they have found the email and they will attempt to recover the paymentby contacting the seller first and if not they will take the funds from their account. Whay my biggest question is what if that scamcon email doesnt have no money in his paypal account. How will i get my money or even my item back. And what happenfs if they camt get the money back then what. Im out of funds and this is all i had to sell and its gone. The lady who was i takinh to she said next time double check everything with paypal i said there will be no next time. I have all the proof of the emails and chats and even the tracking number. Another thing is the person who signed fpr the item doesnt match the sellers name. I evem have a copy of the persons signature.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Naf1231 wrote:
I put my camera and lense up for sale on gumtree two days ago and recieved an offer from a buyer offering a little more delivery as they needed the item. I took down the persons name and number we spoke via whatsapp and i mentioned bank transfer and he didnt agree and then he mentioned paypal and said we can have the sellers and buyers agreement and its safe for both of us. I thought ok so i sent my paypal name and email for my paypal id. I then recieved an email from paypal mentioning that i have recieved a instant payment request and for the funds to be in my account i need to send them a tracking number. And as i was unsure as i have never used paypal this was the first time i checked online with the paypal procedure and everuyhing seemed lile the process was right. Anywho i went to post my items in the post my items were camera and lense. I got the confirmation code and replied back to the email and recieved another email mentioning that paypal have the money and i should not worry. And in the email it also stated that i should havr the funds in my account by 10am i checked my paypal account nothing was there so i messaged the buyer if they had recieved the item and they said yes. At which point i got a bit suspicious i called paypal to confirm everyyhing and told them the transaction id and they said they nothing on there records. I have been crying and so upset as i have 3 children and this camera meant alot for me to sell as i really need the money. After speaking to paypal the guy wasnt listening and kept sayi g other things. Ive reported the crime to nib and their looking into it. Ive spoke to paypal again and also gave them the email which i recieved the mail from they mentioned that they have found the email and they will attempt to recover the paymentby contacting the seller first and if not they will take the funds from their account. Whay my biggest question is what if that scamcon email doesnt have no money in his paypal account. How will i get my money or even my item back. And what happenfs if they camt get the money back then what. Im out of funds and this is all i had to sell and its gone. The lady who was i takinh to she said next time double check everything with paypal i said there will be no next time. I have all the proof of the emails and chats and even the tracking number. Another thing is the person who signed fpr the item doesnt match the sellers name. I evem have a copy of the persons signature.

The buyer likely sent you a fake PayPal email confirmations as there is no official PayPal payment transaction listed in your account for the sale so you never got paid. The "buyer" tricked you into shipping out goods. That is the scam. Best to send a PayPal invoice within your account and always check your account first for receipt of payment before shipping instead of just believing emails. And always pay for postage through the PayPal payment transaction online instead of buying it at the post office. PayPal contacts you when you received money, that's all. PayPal do not email to tell you to provide tracking information to the buyer before funds are released. I am actually surprised that the email address of the scammer was registered with PayPal. Since you have the mailing address of the recipient, file a police report and get the cops to pay them a visit.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.