Scammed by a Chinese seller on Facebook

bexwell
Contributor
Contributor

I saw an advert on Facebook for a self solving Rubiks Cube complete with video of said cube in action, I thought it would make a great present so ordered one, it took about a month to come and when it did it was just a normal Rubiks cube although it had one face with 3 coloured squares missing and a number of squares that were the same as other faces, I immediately went to Paypal and started a dispute, eventually the seller replied, Paypal have now said I have to return the item to the seller via registered post and send them details. No doubt this will cost me more than I originally paid for the cube so I either throw good money after bad or forget about it and the seller gets to keep my money. I didn't ask for a Rubiks cube so shouldn't have to return it. I can't be the only person that's been scammed like this so Paypal must be able to see this

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

wjalex4
Contributor
Contributor

I also fell for this scam, and PayPal's "protection" is useless.  Cheap plastic Rubik's cube knockoff.  Nothing robotic about it.

The scammers have figured out a way to steal our money, and PayPal is a participant in this thievery as far as I am concerned.

I also fell for the mechanical fish cat toys - same deal, same scam.  Just stuffed animal fish with no mechanical components at all.  I am so disappointed in PayPal.

---Walter in Alabama

Login to Me Too

t0-0f
Contributor
Contributor
The scam is still going on 9 months later. Got scammed too. Facebook should be held responsible too, they make money out of advertising!
Login to Me Too

Radman75
New Community Member

reed, this is such a scam.  they hold on to your money.  I realized after a month that I got scammed.  then they delay and send shipping info to buy more time and then delay. each step of the way I am sure people are giving up.  then the cheapo rubiks arrives.    they stole youtube video and cut their ad.  their facebook page was taken down so you don't have the original source anymore.    I hope facebook and paypal crack down on these scammers.

Login to Me Too

wjalex4
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. These scammers figured out how to scam us and PayPal is their unwitting accomplice.

Login to Me Too

suzhedges1
Contributor
Contributor

Same for us.  They sent us 3 different cheap imitation puzzles.  Paypal need to shut this company down. I think they have been doing it for a number of years under different names. https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/ZG-TECHNOLOGY-CO-LIMITED/td-p/1497476

Login to Me Too

AllyMcLaren
Contributor
Contributor

This fool here was scammed too. But unfortunately for the scammers I'm off to China in February with a legal delegation (on a separate mission) and will have China trade representatives from Government and translators with me. As part of the exercise we will be in Wuhan (from where ZG operate) which will prove interesting. Probably a waste of time but I have (under an assumed name) booked a factory tour. 

Login to Me Too

MKBradley
Contributor
Contributor

I disputed my transaction with Discover Card, which I used to make the purchase.  The Seller provided some fake deceptive information to PayPal and Discover so Discover rejected my dispute.  I called them and got the case reinstated, but still will have to wait another month for updated status.

They did supply some information:

A contact phone number that doesn't work   <removed>

Name AMGT TECHNOLOGY CO., LIMITED

an email that I haven't tried yet: <removed>

I ordered in November 2019 and received the package of 3 cheap knock-off Rubik's cubes in January.  They provided information to Paypal and Discover that said it was delivered, but left off the delivery date.

They fabricated an email from "Tracy" that we never received.

After I told them that at least 10 people were complaining her in the Paypal community forum, Paypal said they would investigate the seller.

Any other ideas?  You guys have any better luck with this?

Thanks,

Marty

Login to Me Too

AllyMcLaren
Contributor
Contributor

Facebook is 'mea culpa' in this. Accepting so many scam adverts- they should be held liable. Perhaps a crowd funded piece of litigation would be a neat idea....before the scammers go down with Corvid 19.....

Login to Me Too

pbowen
Contributor
Contributor

Same here - I would expect that paypal would have an algorythm that when a certain number of complaints for the same thing against a merchant hit a threshold, they would investigate deeper.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.