Scammed by Fake PayPal Website

Tnj211
Contributor
Contributor
Recently I put up a sale on EBay for my MacBook Pro and I got contacted my a buyer who wanted me to text him. We agreed on the price and he wanted me to ship it out the next day and to remove the add from EBay to be sure that it was sold to him. Since it was my first time using EBay I genuinely had no clue that that is one of the ways scammers trick you so there is no trace. The next day the scammer sent me a fake screenshot saying that the money owned has been taken out of the buyers account and will soon be paid to me. I even received emails from fake PayPal accounts confirming that my money is pending and that in order for me to receive the funds I need to ship the item and send the USPS tracking number. It’s truly my fault because I felt some suspicions but I continued to go through with it because the emails confirming the transactions and stuff looked authentic. I even shared personal bank information as well so they could send the funds to my account and I guess the whole point of my post is to know whether or not PayPal will refund me. The buyer scammed me using fake PayPal emails and I feel so lost and frustrated I have no clue what to do. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I can’t even speak to a representative because of Corona, which is making this experience even more difficult and unsettling.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PotpotHo
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @Tnj211, we really sorry to hear about what happened. Since PayPal cannot locate the transaction on the account unfortunately we cannot cover this for the Seller Protection. You may coordinate this with the Law Enforcement about the scam. Here's the link to verify if it is a legit or fake email. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake,-fraudulent,-spoof,-or-phishing-emails-... Thank you.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.