Scammed by Chinese seller and Paypal sided with scammer

kenstewart2005
Contributor
Contributor

PP-D-45211970 - thank you (sarcasm) for siding with the Chinese fraudulent seller! Seller advertised product, sent significantly DIFFERENT product and only way they would refund me is if I spent more money which would amount to same, if not more, than original sale for my shipping cost (seller would not cover) ... and YOU (Paypal) sided with them ... HORRIBLE service and you obviously support fraudulent Chinese sellers! I will advertise this to others, report to BBB, and anything else I can do via social media. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER (lack of) service! There is NO buyer protection from you, can't wait to pay off this amount and NEVER use you again.

Login to Me Too
226 REPLIES 226

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sheree-nc 

Rubbish go see all the posts from users that have posted to complain about these sites.

A lot have later posted back to say they returned their item and got refunded.

As for your ''class action lawsuit'' that would fail as well as you can no longer use that option as per link.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3511792/paypal-class-action-suit-ban

However if you are wealthy enough to take on Paypals lawyers and fund it yourself then you can do an individual law suit.

The last person that sought advice on that one on this forum said 'my lawyer wouldn't touch it'.

Like it or not paypal are abiding by their buyer protection policy that you agreed to when you opened your account.

However its not supposed to be an insurance policy and only gives you 'some' buyer protection, the rest is up to you to risk assess your own transactions.

Avoiding China websites or Social Media ads is a plus as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

steamer471
Contributor
Contributor

I got a better idea, just don't use Paypal.  Avoid the false sense of security.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@steamer471 

Yep, thats an option so odd your account is still open then?

Do you want the link to close it?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sheree-nc
Contributor
Contributor
If you're not here to help people, then find somewhere else to post your condescending attitude...in other words, don't be a jerk. People are here looking for help and you're not helping. I've been a PayPal customer for 20 years. Policy or not, we all know the difference between right and wrong and they are not treating their customers very well right now...especially with people hurting from the loss of jobs or income from the pandemic. Please take your negativity somewhere else.
Login to Me Too

steamer471
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Just saw this. No thank you, help from you I do not need.

Login to Me Too

sheree-nc
Contributor
Contributor
First, the site was not "Chinese" and I never purchase anything from social media ads. The site looked legitimate with a US address and since PayPal was a payment option, I figured I would be protected if I didn't receive the item I ordered. But Chinese scammers are getting pretty smart and have figured out a way to fool American consumers as well as taking advantage of PayPal loopholes. PayPal has had countless complaints with these online companies in just the past few months; yet they are still allowing those companies to hold accounts and scam honest people. So who's really in the wrong here and violating their own policies? If enough people here sign an online petition and get national attention brought to this as well as a push to get their FDIC insurance revoked, PayPal will be forced to address the problem. At the very least, they will hopefully remove the accounts in question from their service!
Login to Me Too

sheree-nc
Contributor
Contributor
Where is your proof these buyers returned their items and received a refund? Not by PayPal I'm sure. After 2 months of dealing with PayPal, I got nowhere. Finally decided to try my bank. I was only going to be able to get $44 back of $60 since I used my PayPal balance for partial payment; but in the end, my bank refunded my money...NOT PAYPAL. And I'm still out $16 from my PayPal balance. Until people can talk to them via phone or real time chat, most complaints on here will not be resolved. Stop siding with a company who is refusing to remove the accounts of those companies who are blatant scammers. Plain and simple fact here...PayPal is in the wrong
Login to Me Too

Crystine
Contributor
Contributor
PAYPAL needs to Avoid Chinese websites!! How DARE YOU blane the victims of these obvious fraudulant scams. If YOU looked at these websites, you would see that they are liars and fraudulant scammers, and claim to "guarantee" product and "ship from US" and all sorts of fraudulant claims. We expect YOU (Paypal) to be scrupulous and not accept $$ from these companies.
Login to Me Too

Srs8891
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. Got scammed by a Chinese seller. Pay Pal now wants me to send the product back to a bogus address after months of endless chat mesasges.  Paypal should be protecting their customers not scam companies!!!

Login to Me Too

BevMLS
Contributor
Contributor

So, it's ok for consumers to be ripped off and still have to pay money out of their own pocket to get their money back? I hope everyone reads these threads and their Pay Pal Facebook page before ever using PayPal again. Way to stand by your customers getting ripped off by Scam companies that they endorse. "Fool me once....."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.