Scammed by Chinese seller and Paypal sided with scammer

kenstewart2005
Contributor
Contributor

PP-D-45211970 - thank you (sarcasm) for siding with the Chinese fraudulent seller! Seller advertised product, sent significantly DIFFERENT product and only way they would refund me is if I spent more money which would amount to same, if not more, than original sale for my shipping cost (seller would not cover) ... and YOU (Paypal) sided with them ... HORRIBLE service and you obviously support fraudulent Chinese sellers! I will advertise this to others, report to BBB, and anything else I can do via social media. HORRIBLE CUSTOMER (lack of) service! There is NO buyer protection from you, can't wait to pay off this amount and NEVER use you again.

Login to Me Too
226 REPLIES 226

Gatorguy
Contributor
Contributor

Steamer 471, Paypal is one of the more frustrating companies I have ever dealt with. 

I bought two pair of boots from Newchu in early January n no boots were ever shipped. So I called on Paypal to make it right. They have not and here it is in July now. 

After Paypal initially inquired with the seller a 5 inch by 5 inch envelope containing one curtin tieback with a value of under $2 ws received by me with the matching tracking number Newchu gave Paypal. Clear evidence no boots were ever sent out, as they couldn't be shipped in such a small package. So what does Paypal do? Rather than refund my money they change the status to "not received" to "not as described".  !!

After a series of "we're waiting for the seller's repsonse" and a Paypal assurance this would be tyaken care of by the first of June the onus was then put on me, and I had roughly 10 days to comply or they'd find in the sellers favor: I had to show proof and a tracking number for returning the valueless curtain tieback and nothing that resembled the boots I paid for. The seller was NOT required to show proof thy had ever shipped me boots. Obviously Paypal wishes to be on the sellers side, so now I'm angry.

I shipped the curtain tieback back to the seller and sent Paypal a copy of the receipt. Not good enough for Paypal. Now they want to wait until the seller advises they rec'd the return item that they will trashbin when it arrives. They don't sell curtain tiebacks. 

It has now been 5 weeks since I sent the return and no action whatsoever. Paypal actually had the gall to tell me it would not be "fair to the seller" if I rec'd a refund before Newchu got their valueless curtain tieback returned to them. And as proof that Paypal service reps don't actually look at the cases they discuss with you they said I can send the package back to Newchu using Paypals shipping or ask my credit card company to step in. I paid for this with cash via Paypal, which the rep would have known had they looked and had already twice sent proof to them that the item was returned 5 weeks ago with a tracking number, again a fact the rep would have known had they looked.  

So say I'm deeply disappointed with PayPal and no longer have any trust in their buyer protection is an understatement. Worse than this is Paypal still allows Newchu to proudly display that all purchases are covered by Paypal's buyer protection plan so you can feel safe buying from them. Well that's hardly true is it? 

Login to Me Too

GILLEOUS
Contributor
Contributor
Just amazing. I’m very sorry about this and about all the scams we have endured. To think that money has gone to Chinese criminals and that PayPal is aiding them and earning money this way. Makes my blood boil. I keep waiting or the day 60 Minites does an expose on PayPal.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@GILLEOUS 

Why is it paypals fault that you bought tat from China?

Would you blame your credit card company if you had used them instead?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

steamer471
Contributor
Contributor

It is paypals fault because they made me feel they would cover my back.  They  make the sites you buy from look like they are in the United States and you don't realize it's coming from china till you receive the tracking number. Why do some people think it's the victims fault when you get ripped off?

Login to Me Too

Hydgov1
Contributor
Contributor

Because pay pal ADVERTISES it has PROTECTION. If I had paid direct by credit card instead of pp I would have had my money back. Also racist to say TAT from China, many of the items in your own home are from and parts made in China. THESE accompanies are CRIMINALS carrying out FRAUD on a big scale. I think you were rude. 

Login to Me Too

Dabel
Contributor
Contributor
Don't be concerned by @kernowlass, he loves to agitate folks and he's an advocate of Paypal, he goals is to claim those "badges" he gets for each reply, lol.
Login to Me Too

GILLEOUS
Contributor
Contributor
That makes sense. Thanks for that. I wasn’t going to reply. He’s obviously baiting and not being logical.
Login to Me Too

Hydgov1
Contributor
Contributor

The very same happened to me, ordered off fb in uk , advert,looking now and reading  reviews realise scam. Anyway an item arrived at post office with 11 pounds to pay customs. Opened small  battered package and nothing like what I ordered. Put in dispute,then the fun starts .pp want you to send back tracked, I did despite cosy 15 quid postage. Now pp saying I did not do this, I posted it and took photos on the day and uploaded on the day. I even called pp on phone, more cost to confirm this was okay and she said yes do today and you can claim postage as well....we will email you...no email arrived. So now down

38 dollars plus 11 quid plus 15 to send back. 
really **bleep** off so going to rip off Britain or something similar maybe Martin the money man show. This needs exposing, assomthing odd is going on.... 

Login to Me Too

m_liebao

I have proceed with legal authorities to report this issue, PayPal with poorest customer service system among finance providers, must answer for its mistakes and have to correct their scam support policies. Anyway I have gave up on PayPal and it was last time am using this poor name.  

Login to Me Too

Anastasiap123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all - I have just been scammed in the same way as everyone above, both by the chinese company and paypal for siding with them.  I also blame facebook as they are the ones who are allowing the chinese scammers to advertise a certain item on their site.  I only went ahead with the purchase due to being able to pay for it through paypal thinking i was safe if it was a scam.  How wrong was I.

I ordered a 6 piece kitchen set and I received a pair of cheap plastic sunglasses instead.  The chinese scammer has advised that they would refund the monies if I sent the item back.  They would say that as when I checked, it would cost me double the money to return the same, and they obviously knew this.  

I am going to retport this to UK's Watchdog and speak with a financial ombudsman as this is not right.  Two large companies like paypal and facebook should have technology that prevent this kind of scam and yet thousands of us are being ripped off by them "turning a blind eye" and allowing these scamsters to exploit the system.  It is a complete joke

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.