Scammed but filed the transfer as friends and family

ScamJam
Contributor
Contributor

So I got scammed recently since I was on Facebook looking for some tickets for a new years eve event. The two scammers asked me to send the money as friends and family because that would make the money go faster. I know I am stupid for agreeing but I was thrilled to get the tickets on time for cheap and I went ahead and did it. 

Well it was fraud since I never got the tickets and they blocked me off Facebook. One person even tried to sell me additional tickets from their neighbors. 

Knowing I got scammed I tried to ask for a refund and even contacted Paypal the day of to get a claim started. In less than 30 mins, my claim got denied.. they say since I submitted it as friends and family, I have nothing and "maybe next time don't do that" is what the agent told me which at that point just made me cry.

I went ahead and reported it to my banking institution and they basically brute forced closed my account and opened me a new one. Well the transaction still went thru and now my Paypal is in the negatives and it might go to collection soon. I called my bank and they basically said its not their problem and told me to ask Paypal. 

Now I am back to square one. 

I know it was a stupid decision on my end but I feel like I'm getting punished over and over again for a silly mistake I made. I wouldn't care if I got scammed 50 dollars but were talking about around 165 dollars. 

I do have proof that it was scams and I am not trying to cheat the system, I just want my money back. Is there any way for me to try and get it back somehow? I wanted to talk to a representative but all I get are snarky agents or a bot. 

anything helps.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ScamJam 

Sorry, friends and family payments have no purchase protection. It is considered a "gift" payment with no obligation to provide goods and services, that is why its easy for recipient to disappear on you or block communication. Use it with people you really trust and know in real life. You're buying something, not sending funds to grandma here. You don't know who's on the other end. But all is not lost, consider it tuition on a lesson learned not to pay as friends and family in exchange for goods and services. You're helping the recipient avoid PayPal fees and you negate your own protection simultaneously when doing that.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.