Scammed as a seller

tehls
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a single freelance 3D artist that uses PayPal to earn money, and I have never used PayPal balance to purchase anything. I always put my PayPal balance into my card. Recently, I noticed that my balance is -£36 and I'm receiving emails from PayPal that I have to pay off this debt which I shouldn't even need to pay in the first place. On the disputes section I see 3 cases, one of which was an attempted chargeback scam and two which are possibly successful chargeback scams. I've "owed" this money for a month or two and I need help because I haven't actually done anything to get into debt in the first place, and I don't have the money to pay it off.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tehls 

Sadly if you are selling a service / digital or virtual items then you have little paypal seller protection.

So if the buyer has done a chargeback via their card issuer then you may well have lost and so end up having to refund + pay the card companies proessing fee leading you to a negative balance unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

benfielding214
Contributor
Contributor

Go onto recent activity/transactions click on the transaction that is the scammed money and press report problem if the buyer doesn't respond you can escalate it (after a couple of days ) to Paypal and they will hopefully resolve the issue from there.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@benfielding214 

You advice is dreadful.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

benfielding214
Contributor
Contributor

tehls
Contributor
Contributor

I already stated that it's been months and I've only found out about these chargeback scams and I cannot report any more problems with the transactions, since the money has been taken from my PayPal balance and PayPal aren't willing to listen and understand my issue

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@tehls 

Sadly if you are selling a service / digital or virtual items then you have little paypal seller protection.

So if the buyer has done a chargeback via their card issuer then you may well have lost and so end up having to refund + pay the card companies proessing fee leading you to a negative balance unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

tehls
Contributor
Contributor

I spent hours creating 3D models for a persons video game, and now they are OR will be profiting off of those assets.

Is there no option for me but to pay money back?

PayPal won't even allow me to remove my cards since I "owe" them money and constantly ask me to pay off debt which I'm in no position of paying right now

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.