Scammed and dispute denied Case ID: PP-I-3331832

YaBoy_Sean
Contributor
Contributor

I recently purchased a couple pair of sneakers from someone on Instagram *Name removed by moderator* on gmail, that I intended on selling on StockX For a profit. After paying for the shoes and getting a conformation, I listed them both on StockX. After listing them, I went back to contact *Name removed* for tracking information and saw that the Instagram profile no longer existed, the gmail account came back as address not found. I was upset, frantic, etc. I immediately filed claims with both paypal and google pay(). I have since been refunded my money by google pay, however the case with PayPal was denied on what I believe is a technicality. When I went to file the claim the only option I saw available was unauthorized transaction... I backed out a couple times, refreshed the browser, etc. but that’s the only option that I saw. I proceeded to fine my claim only to be denied because PayPal deemed it not unauthorized. The fact still remains I am out $700 and NEVER received a thing. I can’t work it out with the seller, they no longer exist. I have since spoken to numerous customer service people at PayPal and have gotten no where. The last call I made 2 days ago, I was told to go online and file an internet crimes report with the FBI at IC3.gov which I did but there was nothing they(PayPal) could do because the claim was already decided and closed. I told him I understood what he was saying and explained to him the above situation, that I didn’t see any other option besides unauthorized, etc. still... nothing PayPal is willing to do. Like I said, Google pay refunded me my money almost immediately, within 2 days! But PayPal refuses!! SERIOUSLY??? That is just bad business PayPal. Please anyone with any information please help. I am loosing my mind!!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YaBoy_Sean

If the 'only' option was an unauthorised dispute then you probably paid for the item using the friends / family option???

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

You also risk having your account limited for using this option when you are purchasing goods as its against Paypal rules.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately again as it was a 'gift' of money they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

YaBoy_Sean
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the input. I have read and re read everything you are saying. Unfortunately, none of it helps my situation. I did send it friends and family, per sellers request(that’s the scam) and I didn’t find it from a card. It was my PayPal balance. I added screen shots to show my situation but they have been removed.(seems a little backwards but whatever) So it seems like I’m pretty much **bleep** in getting my $700 back.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@YaBoy_Sean

If you sent it friends / family and didn't fund it with a card then you lost both paypal buyer protection and your card protection  Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

YaBoy_Sean
Contributor
Contributor

BrianSquires66
New Community Member
So on march 27th I got $475 worth of marvel collectables to complete collections and sell and make more money. This is a hobby of mine. The package did not have an apartment number and was marked as delivered. I searched every locker the next day with the mailman and never found it. He said usually he returns to sender if there is no apartment number. I called the post office immediately to track the package down and they told me the same thing it was returned to sender. So I waited on word from the seller who was updated the whole time. He actually denied the refund because he probably doesnt have the money or he scammed me. I started a case with paypal and gave them all the proof and information they needed, even the package label with no apartment number the seller sent me after he sent it and was missing. Paypal still wont refund my $475. I started another case with the post office and call all the time and no updates. I contacted paypal again to ecplain everything and they are not helpful and there is no way to actually talk to someone in charge. This $475 could save Claire right now, its about half my rent. Its bills, food, money for transportation. I have been fighting for this refund since April 3rd and still paypal refuses to give me my money back and the seller said he would not respond to me anymore and has tried enough and I'm sure its because I asked for the money back. I dont understand when something isnt delivered you get your money back regardless of a tracking number I know this because I had a order from NFL go missing. Maybe its the amount and paypal doesnt wanna give that up? Or that the seller denied me because he doesnt have the money or scammed me? He is actually still selling the stuff I ordered and provided proof of that as well.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BrianSquires66 

The only way paypal can tell if the buyer received the item or not is by the tracking number.

If tracking shows the item as delivered then the seller wins.

To be honest why should a seller have to refund when they sent trackable and the item is showing as delivered?

If you had been refunded then it would be pointless the seller sending trackable in the first place.

Your dispute is between you and the person / company that delivered the goods.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

AshMONEY444
Contributor
Contributor
LITERALLY SAME. I asked for multiple Refunds of a total of 4 payments on items i purchased from someone on fb. Stopped replying. i been scammed and will hope that whatever person on the other side can take action and get the money sent to me back. WITH PAYPALS HELP.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.