Scammed - PayPal won’t help

webbca
Contributor
Contributor
I am sooo frustrated because I should have know better, but I bought a 7qt, new Kitchenaid stand mixer for about $85.99 from this supposed ‘flash’ sale on Facebook. To be honest, I wondered if it was too good to be true, but when I saw they accepted PayPal, I felt good, I have had my account almost 20 years and ha e NEVER had an issue. Sure enough I got a ‘marked as shipped’ with NO tracking info. That was concerning, so I IMMEDIATELY emailed the seller Ian Morrison Inc letting him know over 7 days had passed and as per their website info, I should have the mixer. Well, of course, no response. I waited 2 more days then opened a dispute with PayPal, letting them know what happened and also telling them that per their site, the seller never gave any tracking info. After over a week, PayPal informs me the case has been closed because the seller provided the info to show the item was delivered!!!! The most crazy thing about this is that I ordered the mixer around 11:30pm on the 27th and the shipping/tracking PayPal sent this morning was showing it was delivered at 12:29pm on DECEMBER 27th!!!!! Case closed. This may sound silly because as frustrated as I am for being so gullible, I am more hurt that PayPal dismisses a case that is clearly fraudulent. I am at school (a teacher) now, but will be following up with them when I get home. I have now lost my confidence in PayPal because I can’t trust that they will back me up. Anyone else experience this? Thank you for letting me rant - I’m absolutely crushed by this letdown.
Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@webbca 

Paypal disputes are mostly automated, in the event of a dispute for non receipt of item the only thing that decides it is the tracking number.

So as it shows as delivered then they find in favour of the seller.

If you didn't get it then its between you and the seller really and sadly Facebook is FULL of China sites selling tat.

Glad you didn't get it as safety would be a big issue. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BlueBlazes16
Contributor
Contributor
I was leery but not leery enough. I also ordered a 7 quart KitchenAid mixer and haven’t received it. Mine was the same price...$85.99 for a red one. The name of the seller is different, though...Amanda Clark...AND it said they had “teamed up with PayPal” !! I won’t fall for this crap, again. Somebody is getting RICH $85.99 at a time. Like you, I KNEW it sounded too good to be true...and I ALREADY OWN TWO KitchenAid mixers, so I was getting one for my daughter. I haven’t tried getting reimbursed, yet but I intend to. Apparently, mine didn’t HAVE tracking information and I cannot find the website from where I “purchased” it. God is gonna punish some thieves!
Login to Me Too

Mstatt
New Community Member
I had the same issue. PayPal was absolutely no help at all. I had to file the dispute through my bank.
Login to Me Too

Mindoluin
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for basically the same scam trying to buy a Kitchenaid. I am out $112. Did you ever get any resolution? I think I may try with my credit card company since PayPal does not seem to help at all.

Login to Me Too

MaryLou49
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue, except my red 5 quart KitchenAid stand mixer was $59.99, and the seller was Stewart (removed) Inc. At least, that's one of the names I found. Everything looked legit, and a friend said she bought the same mixer from this same "flash sale" she saw on Facebook. I guess she got lucky. So I'm out $59.99 and PayPal is no help either. Hard lesson learned. ~MaryLou49

Login to Me Too

Mindoluin
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for the same scam. I bought a "KitchenAid" stand mixer for $112.60 which showed shipped and delivered a full two weeks before I ordered it. I don't know how they came up with a USPS tracking number that showed delivery to my house. I disputed it with PayPal and messaged the seller "Juan Gonzalez" and so far it shows a refund of the full amount pretty quickly. It has not showed up on my credit card yet though. Maybe PayPal has figured out this is actually a scam. I will be much more cautious, especially of deals "too good to be true." Can't believe I fell for this.

Login to Me Too

CM1007
New Community Member

I had the same thing happen.  I opened a case and it was quickly rejected.  I purchased a Ski Boat towable which is about 50 Lbs.  I found a too good to be true price, the website looked like an eBay type of service, so I was not yet suspicious.  Once I paid with PayPal, the payment went to a yahoo account in Japan.  I was worried at that point but I decided to wait.  Then it showed shipped with a UPS tracking.  It then delivered extremely fast, the next day, but nothing actually arrived.  The UPS tracking says a 4 Oz. package of Digital Media.  This was such a great scam.  I don't know how this person can use UPS to show something is delivered electronically, not physically.

I don't expect the money back, but I am upset with PayPal's lack of response to fraud.  After they closed the dispute, I can no longer update information or request to report this fraud.  I am sure this PayPal vendor is still scamming people and I wish to report that.  I called and now it says they no longer have live responses to disputes due to Covid-19.  This is the best chance I have to report this issue.  Can someone from PayPal please reach out to me?  

Login to Me Too

Mindoluin
Contributor
Contributor

I too had basically the same scam perpetrated on me. I tried to buy a Kitchenaid stand mixer at a too good to be true price from a website that has now vanished. It had fake physical and email addresses too. The transaction shows that "shoe repair" was delivered to me via USPS tracking. But that tracking number was about a week before this purchase, and a lightweight package (not a mixer). Then they supposedly sent a refund to me but it was pending for 10 days, the e-check they issued apparently fake too. My case shows closed now with PayPal and I cannot contact a live person to talk to. Paypal's messaging service is frustrating and not helping. I will probably end up losing my $112 --a hard lesson learned Iguess to only buy from known vendors and question "bargains." I thought PayPal protected buyers and sellers! I will probably contest this with my credit card company now to try to get my money back from PayPal if the "seller" ("Juan Gonzalez") gets away with it. I am very disappointed with Paypal and will cancel my account with them if they do not resolve this and get my refund.

Login to Me Too

jstreet57
Contributor
Contributor
Take that tracking number to your post office.i ordered in june from site and post office looked up tracking number which was for someone slse,different address that was delivered in may.month before I placed order
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.