Scammed - PayPal closed in buyers favour. Please help!

Ktnhe19
Contributor
Contributor
I really need help as I don’t know what to do anymore. I sold a phone (£500) on eBay. It was in perfect working order. The buyer then requested a refund claiming the Face ID didn’t work. I contacted eBay at this point to ask for guidance as I knew it was working. They said I had to accept the refund which I did. About a week later a tracking number was given so I tracked the item. It then said on 19th October that it had been delivered but I didn’t have it. I contacted Royal Mail and after an investigation they stated that the tracking number was never intended for my address. I contacted eBay again and they said that buyers account had been suspended due to “violating their policies” and it was in my favour so they released the money to me. Then I get an email from PayPal saying the buyer has requested a refund. I contacted PayPal to let them know what happened. That I had chat transcripts from eBay and an email from Royal Mail. The buyer provided PayPal with the same tracking number and they have closed the case in the buyers favour. I appealed it and they now say the buyer has given them proof of posting. I then contacted Royal Mail again to run through it all again and they said there can’t be any proof of posting as the item wasn’t sent via a post office. Royal Mail has said they can’t do anything about it. PayPal have not asked for my eBay transcripts and have ignored the email I sent them from Royal Mail. What do I do? This buyer is 100% scamming me and I have no way of getting my money back.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ktnhe19 

Sadly thats one of the risks of online selling.

If the buyer provided a tracking number then its also proof that they posted the item and that is all paypal require.

They don't accept chat transcripts or anything else as there system is most automated.

They only give you some seller protection and sadly after that you are on your own.

HOWEVER that does not stop you taking private legal action against the buyer in the small claims court and with your evidence you will probably win and the buyer will end up paying your legal costs. BUT first I would email him and state all the evidence that you have and if he does not return item or the money you will be taking that action, sometimes just the threat works.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ktnhe19
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for your response. The support I have received from PayPal has been disgraceful. When I spoke with someone last Thursday they said the case would not be closed until actual proof of postage to my address was provided (I.e a receipt). They haven’t received this and it has still been closed to the buyer. They will not accept any of my actual proof. It’s crazy. I will email the buyer in the first instance and then file a small claim.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.