Scam

saysuh
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for an ebay/paypal scam. I was selling an item on ebay and he made an offer and provided his phone number. He asked for my paypal email. He also asked in the messages if I could also buy an ebay gift card to send with the item because it was for a gift for someone. The email said that I wouldn't get the funds into my account until I sent proof that I bought the gift card. I sent the proof, which included me sending photos of the receipt and the gift card with it scratched off. I never got the money and the ebay gift card is empty. It was for $300. Is there any way that I can get my money back?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@saysuh 

Sadly not, you fell for this scam..........

SCAM.
They may buy on Ebay but they use an anonymous or hijacked Ebay account and do not have a Paypal account so they can't use Ebay checkout.

They encourage you to accept a direct Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails may go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or they may not be interested in the item and just want to scam you of a gift card.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram, Western Union, Bank Transfer or send any sort of gift token or voucher.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.