Scam

julsmartin19
Contributor
Contributor

I recently was a victim of fraud when a friend’s messenger was hacked and the “friend” asked me to receive a payment for her to my PayPal account and then lodge in her bank account agmfter id moved it to my current account. I’ve been chasing the bank to try and retrieve the money as it was a scam which has left my PayPal account in a negative balance, the bank are now saying they can do nothing more to help me and I must pay back the money to PayPal but surely the breach of security started with PayPal and there must be some culpability on their part? I’m tearing my hair out, it’s so unfair

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julsmartin19 

Why was it paypals fault that your friends messenger was hacked??

Are they responsible for messenger as well?

All paypal did was process a payment that you authorised and requested to another paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

julsmartin19
Contributor
Contributor
Hi @kerrowglass Thanks for your input. I dont believe PayPal are responsible for the security of messenger, however the two unauthorised payments made in to my PayPal account were from two other PayPal users, so their PayPal accounts have been hacked and I imagine that definitely is the responsibility of PayPal, do you see my point?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@julsmartin19 

If the paypal accounts used were hacked then the 'owner' of the accounts would be reimbursed and not you.

All you did was accept paypal payments sent.

The scam came not via paypal but via you sending those funds to a bank account that you 'thought' was your friends as you 'thought' it was your friends account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Mandyb1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @julsmartin19 

I have the same problem, have you managed to sort this out? I too believe it was unfair of paypal to just send the money to wherever it came from in the first place as i didn't personally take their money and they are the initial person that has been scammed so surely it is their battle not mine? 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.