Scam

LukeA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I have bought approx. 1.5 months ago some digital content off the web and it turned out that the product description didn't match the actual product I got. So I sent an email to the seller to why I didn't get the functions they declared the product had. It turns out that there was a mistype when the product description was written by the seller. I requested a refund and the seller refused to hear anything about that. After a bit more of chatting the seller stopped responding completely. I then requested PayPal to check who is right in this case and after their investigation they decided that I do deserve a refund but under the condition that I return the product to the seller. At first, I thought PayPal was joking but they were serious. After I explained to them that I can't return the product because it was downloaded over the internet to my computer and that I didn't receive anything physically with this purchase they sided with the seller. The reasons to why they sided with the seller is because I failed to provide shipping information for the product. I don't believe that the seller is right in this case since they provided false information about the product and the buyer can't prove by any means that he deleted the product from his computer. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LukeA1 

IF you paid with credit card, contact your card issuer to dispute as not as described.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

LukeA1
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

The bank advises me to take legal action but I'm reluctant to do so. It just isn't worth it since the costs of a legal battle are higher then the actual price I paid for the product.

Login to Me Too

LukeA1
Contributor
Contributor
Anyone? Can I file a complain to PayPal for the result of the dispute?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LukeA1 

You can appeal a dispute via the resolution centre only if you have 'new' info which was not available at the time paypal made their decision and only for 10 days post that decision.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LukeA1
Contributor
Contributor
So I can't tell them they made a mistake when they elaborated why my complaint was declined? They said that they refuse to issue a refund since I didn't provide shipping info. That is simply impossible and I think that they failed to notice that which is evident in their final reply
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LukeA1 

Unfortunately there is no buyer protection for digital / virtual items for 'received but not as described' only for 'non receipt'.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

LukeA1
Contributor
Contributor
I think that that is outrageous. So the seller can lie to me about what he is selling just to get the money. Say I buy a copy of Windows and he gives me a free software calculator. This principle would then be a massive scheme on how to scam people which can't be OK. The seller scr*wed up, I don't see why should I pay for his mistakes!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.