Scam Payment

latouguia
Contributor
Contributor
Hey everyone, So I made a purchase and directly after payment the seller has gone AWOL making me very suspicious that I was scammed. Please advise if there is anything I can do to get my money back?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@latouguia 

Sadly then........

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @latouguia 

If you have an issue with a seller or buyer, you can proceed to file a claim for the payment if you visit the resolution centre, I would not alert the seller that you will be filing a claim to prevent any "worse" from happening.

I wish you the best of luck in getting your funds back.

Thanks

Harley

If you found this helpful, give me a kudo!

Login to Me Too

latouguia
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the advice Harley, I will try that 🤞
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@latouguia 

I hope you didn't use the friends/family option to pay?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

latouguia
Contributor
Contributor
I did use that method unfortunately 🙈 It was my first time making a PayPal Payment. I’ve always used it before on 3rd party websites with the payment option.
Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@latouguia 

Sadly then........

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

latouguia
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Thank you for your response, I have submitted to my credit card company to try recall the payment.

Fingers Crossed...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.