Samsung Pay hacked?

Kaitgw69
Contributor
Contributor

I have a BIG problem, I don't use Samsung Pay and have no link to PayPal from my phone. Now someone is using Samsung Pay in Mexico to buy tuition, pays for utilities and so on. I reported after the first 2 charges to PayPal and they opened a case only to close the case after 2 days saying all is fine and they will not refund! Then the next day 2 more charges were posted (yes I changed passwords and all!).  and again I filed a dispute only for PayPal to deny a refund!

I have not been in Mexico, can show I never used Samsung Pay .. How can I stop this and how can I convince PayPal that they are helping to steal money from me (more than 400 USD!!)

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

Kaitgw69
Contributor
Contributor
Yes, PayPal is a big letdown .. Only robotic replies that make no sense! I sent the case to the Washington Post, maybe they will run with it.
Login to Me Too

Wthman
New Community Member
Yes, me too. The gentlemen I spoke to with samsung pay also acknowledged that there had been other instances as of late where samsung pay accounts and PayPal were showing fraudulent transfer of funds. Hopefully, they can sort it out. Best to contact your banking institute directly and have them know of the situation.
Login to Me Too

Jjohndoe
Contributor
Contributor
They got me too, 1st charge was for .57 cents. I just looked at my phone like huh? Then about 30 seconds later a $300.00 charge popped up. I immediately pulled over on highway, and removed bank card from paypal. In the morning when I got off work i called them(wtf) and was told the 57 cent was a travel agent, and the 300 was for utilities, both in Mexico. They also told me they tried to but art supplies but i shut it down too fast. So i was shocked to see my case was denied as well. Samsung pay said not their fault they are just the middleman. But my charge was pending and ppal wouldn't stop it, and the bank couldn't stop it. So even tho i reported it right away, it still cleared. Dont understand why ppal isn't responsible? I didn't authorize or make those purchases, i dont even know who the merchants are. As soon as this issue is resolved im canceling pay pal, already canceled Samsung pay. Any lawyers on here , can we get a class action? Seems like a lot of have the same issue.
Login to Me Too

jessag471655
I heard WAWA had a big data breach recently. Did everyone on here by chance use their samsung pay at a WAWA gas station recently? The two vendors that hacked me were "Despegar.com" and "Run tuxtla web". These vendors appear to be from Mexico and Argentina. One morning in mid December 2019 I had 5 back-to-back transactions totalling approximately $700. Samsung pay acknowledged this was from a hacker. PayPal denied my claim. Still trying to get my money back.
Login to Me Too

ckish314
New Community Member

I'm glad to see that other people are having the same problem (although it sucks that PayPal is refusing to do anything about it). I had a series of charges authorized through Samsung Pay to Despegar.com and Univ Tec Milenio to the order of $0.52 and $156.60, respectively. I talked to both Samsung and Paypal and they gave me the same run around that it sounds like everyone else has gotten. Samsung is just the middle-man (oh and that their service is extremely secure and a hacker is very unlikely to have hacked the Samsung Pay accounts) and Paypal can't do anything about it because Samsung Pay authorized the charge.

I eventually filed a claim with my bank to refund me the money that was automatically withdrawn from my account. Now Paypal is counting that as a negative balance. I will see about talking with them on Monday to hopefully get that removed. Not holding my breath though.

Login to Me Too

UKVITH

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.