SCAM?

FarmhouseKat
New Community Member

My husband bought our son a Nintendo Switch via PayPal - payment went through and yesterday we got an email saying the order was canceled and “ITEM OUT OF STOCK - PLEASE MAKE A DISPUTE IN PAYPAL TO REFUND YOUR MONEY. THANKS FOR SHOPPING WITH US!” When we logged in to the resolution center there is already a case opened (not by us!) saying the cause is “unauthorized access” Whaaaat?! Please help us understand this.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
When you got that email did you click a link from within the email to log in to the PayPal account? If so, I would recommend changing your PayPal account password immediately. Just go directly to www.paypal.com yourself (no link), log in there, and change your password. Then while you're there double check the resolution center to see what's going on and see if it looks any different. It sounds like you could be getting hit with a phishing attempt.
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

FarmhouseKat
New Community Member
Their email didn’t have any links so that’s not possible is it? I’ll change the password just in case. Good suggestion thanks But more importantly we want to get our refund!!
Login to Me Too

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor
Okay, if you didn't click any link to login through then you're probably fine.

It's very odd that a seller would tell you to file a dispute to get your refund. That just delays things and doesn't look good for them, so if they were going to give a refund they would typically just do that.

You said there is already a dispute in there that you didn't do..?? What are the notes in there, and what is the status of it?
Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FarmhouseKat

Contact customer services as soon as possible.

They can check your account for any possible issues and change the dispute for you.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.