Ripped off on Etsy watch sale. Etsy and Paypal let it happen. No buyer protection.

Jezzjezz
New Community Member

I bought two watches on Etsy and the vendor turned around and closed their store when their small amount of stock had been sold. Once a vendor closes their account there's no additional resources they offer buyers. So I brought it to Paypal. I questioned the authenticity of the watches to the seller via Paypal and got no response, so I opened a case. The watches were never delivered, the scammer generated a fake tracking number on UPS. Paypal held my pending case in limbo for over a month until their ruling came down: return the watches for a full refund. The Resolution Center offers no options to say I NEVER GOT THEM. I reached out via email and finally talked to someone who said they were looking at my case. This morning, I got an email stating my case is closed because I failed to return the watches. Out $966.00

So, in summary:

1) Made purchase on Etsy.

2) Scammer never had the product they sold me, and never sent me anything.

3) Etsy says I'm on my own.

4) Paypal says return the item I never got.

5) Case closed.

I would advise anyone reading this to not make any type of online marketplace purchase with Paypal, ever (specifically on sites like Etsy and Ebay). The system is flawed and allows scammers to run wild, freely stealing money from anyone who foolishly believes they may have any sort of buyer protection.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.