Ripped off by a fake friend with the help of PayPal. Need advice on what to do to?

temp20180717a
New Community Member

So over a period of two and a half months I had 10 payments sent to me of $80 . Over these two and a half months a friend I had known for 12 years sent me payments for money I had lent him in the past. PayPal approved all of these payments and said transactions have been complete with little side notes from old friend saying thank you and such. After PayPal approved these transactions I had withdrew the money and gone about my business, then turns out to be 3 months later PayPal refunds every payment sent to me by my old friend and charges me a $20 transaction fee for every transaction reversed. I don't understand how PayPal can say that the payments are approved and complete then two and a half to three months later reverse all the transactions and tell me that it was fraudulent. PayPal states that the complaint was made with the card company by the sender and not PayPal. So now I'm stuck the $1,000 negative balance and no help from PayPal getting this reversed. I don't understand how PayPal can tell me transactions have been approved for two and a half months and then a good time down the line tell me that it was no good and that I have to pay it back. This seems like a straight-up scam to me from PayPal put together for my fake friend. If anybody has any legal advice or anything these could suggest for me to do to help out my situation I would greatly appreciate any knowledge shared. Or if you have experienced a situation similar to this please share and also what you did to make it right. I had sent PayPal screenshots of text messages from the sender asking for my PayPal email address and asking if it was okay to send the money and also that he had sent the money and it brought 10 screenshots and send to PayPal through the resolution center and PayPal offered me zero help and 0 options for me to explore into helping myself. Appreciate any replies to this it's so frustrating how I can be ripped off by PayPal and my friend like this seems like attacking the innocent bystander and everybody's just okay with it. Thanks

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.