Ripped off. Paypal "Investigated" and Denied Claim

dcringgold
New Community Member

My wife made a purchase from a website and paid via Paypal. The purchase was for six inflatable river rafts, $84.70 total. After the purchase, we never heard anything from the seller. After trying to contact them and never hearing back, I opened a dispute with PayPal. After the dispute was filed, the seller sent a UPS tracking number that said it was delivered to my city and PayPal closed the case. We never received the item, the tracking number does not indicate what address in my city it was delivered to, I have a UPS account that notifies me when a delivery is pending for my address and I got nothing, and the clearest indication of fraud: The shipment weight for this tracking number is only 1.30 lbs. The six rafts weigh probably 15-20 lbs. PayPal saw a tracking number that showed delivered and closed the dispute, in the seller's favor, and now we are out the money. Do I have any recourse here? Does PayPal have an appeals process? After looking up the seller, this seems like a pretty common scam. Sell an item, somehow produce a valid tracking number for that zip code, and profit after playing PayPal's game. Thanks for any help. 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

bobrauer
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing happened to me also. They closed my case and never received the product. I need help to try and reopen this dispute.

Login to Me Too

dcbccklee
New Community Member

I am joining the ME TOO.

The merchant first gave PayPal an USPS tracking number.  I told PayPal that the tracking number was real but it was sent to different person and different address other than the shipping address PayPal transaction record.

Later, the merchant gave PayPal an UPS tracking number, again the tracking number is real but does not match name and address or even the package weight described on Proof of Delivery.  I finally got UPS sent me the record showing exactly the name and address of the tracking.  I sent the UPS statement to PayPal.  

ME TOO - they "investigated" and denied claim saying the merchant has given the shipment tracking and closed the case.

I won't say it is a ripped off by PayPal, but definitely, they do not listen and ignore the evidence that I sent and hurry to close even I requested them to keep it open.

What can I say?  How can I escalate to next level?

Login to Me Too

bobrauer
Contributor
Contributor

I called pay pal and kept asking for a agent on the animated reply voice and did connect with a human voice, they reopened it and are looking into it. I hope this works. keep you posted.

Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
It is a rip-off by PayPal as they are allowing it. In their advertised policy they state they will block and exclude disreputable merchants. Well PayPal has never met a merchant they don’t like. File an FBI report, talk to your banking establishment or credit card company. Oh, and don’t continue to use PayPal. I have closed accounts with other merchants letting them know that I will not do business with them because they do business with PayPal and explained why.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dcringgold 

Another 1 of these?

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Nystace
New Community Member
I had a similar problem. I submitted photos of the product I ordered vs. what they sent, email correspondence, a Facebook group that had been recently set up for people who also got scammed by the same company for the same product - I never heard from anyone at PayPal and they ruled against me. They don’t do anything to protect their customers. I needed to cancel a direct payment I made the day after I sent it because I got suspicious. The money wasn’t going to transfer for 6 days, so plenty of time to cancel the transaction. I emailed them, set up a dispute and tried calling them. No one ever responded and they sent the money anyway. Then they closed my dispute against me even though I tried cancelling it from the start. PayPal is fraud! They don’t watch out for their customers and offer none of the protections they claim. I’m weighing my options on what to do about that last transaction where they were clearly instructed to cancel it and ignored me. I’m also switching to Venmo!
Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
Let your banking or credit card establishment know . File an FBI report. This is what I did.
Login to Me Too

AthenaWar
Contributor
Contributor
Don’t give up. PayPal chooses not to do the right thing unless pressed and even then they may not. If you use a credit card or visa debit contact the card holder. File an FBI report as it is international. PayPal is paid by the so called merchants to use their services. PayPal side’s with them and fails to follow through on it so called policy of excluding and blocking scammers.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.