Return

sul824
Contributor
Contributor

I've been scammed by several chinese online companies. I paid top dollar for radio controlled flying models, but I received model aircraft that were not worth two dollars. Pay Pal said the had approvals for the returns and my money would be refunded. The items range in price from $42.00 t0 $59.95. FedEx says the cost of shipping will be $125.00 plus. Not a sound business decision. Scammed twice on the same items!!!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sul824 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@sul824 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

sul824
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I did pay by credit card. Sounds as if Pay Pal is not part of the solution, but rather part of the problem.

Login to Me Too

vchan
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, the "Shipping Return"... which they have stated they will cover 30USD... which at the end turned out to be only 30CAD (~22USD) because my account is in paypal.ca rather than paypal.com even I was reassured by their customer service people that it would be 30 USD (which still doesn't cover the whole shipping cost)

Oh yeah, thanks a lot Paypal!!!! Double scammed

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vchan 

They give you what they say in your countries link.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/for-you/shop/refunded-returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

twoody
New Community Member

If PayPal is going to promote their product as a means for payment than they should be responsible for ensuring the sellers who use their service are reputable.  A way to do that is to require the seller to be responsible for any return shipping cost of products that are not as described or not as paid for.  I purchased pants that came in 2 inches smaller in the waist than ordered.  The seller wants me to return the product which I'll gladly do but the seller wants me to pay the return shipping which, to China, is almost as much as the pants themselves.  Essentially I am not getting a refund for a product that is different than what I purchased.  Unacceptable.  PayPal is in a position to protect the buyer but requiring more of the seller.  If the seller were held responsible they would either stop using PayPal or improve their quality control.

Login to Me Too

Buyer_Warning
Contributor
Contributor

Dealing with situation where the seller only sent the tripod for a rather large telescope (should have been tripod and telescope).  Shipped via a trucking company due to the weight.  PayPal's Customer Protection requires me to return the tripod before it will issue me a refund - and they are not making the seller cover the return shipping charges which I expect will be well over $100.  How is that protecting anyone but the unscrupulous sellers??? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Buyer_Warning 

They are giving the buyer protection that they state in their buyer protection policy for you to read and then risk assess your own transactions.

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Buyer_Warning
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I am keenly aware of the situation.

However, the policy could easily be changed to close this loophole and better protect PayPal's customers - the buyer.  In this instance, I have financial damages as a direct result of a seller's actions (item's not as described - incomplete).  In such cases, where the seller is negligent, requiring the seller to pay for the return is not completely uncommon - just not for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

pro111
Contributor
Contributor
I opened the resolution, But the seller who sold me the goods broke down on the road and the seller does not want to answer my questions and return my money. Please help me.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.