Return shipping

Aggravated1955
Contributor
Contributor
Should i have to pay for return shipping when the company sends an incorrect and cheaper item than they addvertized.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Aggravated1955 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Aggravated1955 

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Despite PP's stated return policy, there are exceptions. Contact customer service according to Esteemed Advisor's directions, then talk (chat) to live agent and he/she may be willing to help. These scams are running rampant and customer service may be swamped at the moment. Need to be persistent and keep trying. Take photos of worthless item and file complaint about seller at ic3.gov and keep prove of submission, PP will ask you to upload evidence if they decide to look at your case. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Aggravated1955 

However if you want to do as the esteemed contributor @perplexed_user states and do not return the item by the date paypal have given you to do so you 'risk' not getting a refund.

Don't forget if you have activated the link that i gave you above you can claim some or all of those return postage costs back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Oh yeah, forgot to add that when PP expects you to upload a tracking number for the return, you can upload a photo of the crap you did receive and PP will not flag it, and perhaps that'll buy you more time while you plead your case with customer service. Unless you actually think the seller is sincere about the refund and if the math works (like if return shipping is a small portion of money recoverable), then I still recommend don't send anything to China, Hong Kong, or anywhere in Asia. Address in Hong Kong I was given is bogus (one can look up addresses on internet), PP's policy is seller has right to confirm delivery before refund. Of course would a scammer cooperate and confirm delivery? Think about it, sending item back to China where address is in Chinese to begin with shows it's an obvious scam, why would anyone fall deeper in the scam by sending it back? 

Do as I did, talk to agent intelligently and tell your story, present evidence that it is an obvious scam, argue that it is unfair for buyer to pay for seller mistake. Don't throw good money after bad is what I'm trying to say. Esteem Advisor, as knowledgeable as you are, you are not doing anybody any favors by repeating PP's inane policies. Your advice are excellent most of the time, but don't advise victims of scams to fall deeper into it by sending crap back to Asia.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@perplexed_user 

Tell that to the buyers that have returned their items and gotten refunds, then talk to the ones that refused as they felt they should not have to and refused and there disputes were closed without a refund.

Nothing is ever guaranteed so at the end of the day its up to the buyer.

But luckily the point will be moot soon with paypals new policy coming in that should stop most of these scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Agreed, buyer that were part of honest mistakes can cut their losses by sending stuff back (domestically perhaps) and honest sellers will refund. But I'm talking about victims of obvious scams like most (if not all) folks here, telling almost identical stories. To those people, I strongly advise against sendin crap back (to Asia usually). It cost more money to return ship than original purchase in most cases. Yes, it comes down to buyer's assessment of whether the seller is a genuine business, or a scammer; and I trust that most people who posts here can judge for themselves.

So I think we can all agree, act before case expiration date, even if just to buy more time; persist with customer service (as lacking as it is).

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@perplexed_user 

Yep, fair enough, just glad paypals new policy is coming in in September.

But it won't be retrospective though so we will still face this issue for a while unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ScammedBuyer
New Community Member

@perplexed_user 

Do you have PP customer service contact number? I looked but can't find it anywhere. 
The product I received was shipped out of Inglewood CA, but the seller asked me to send it back to China. This is ridiculous. Seller's intention is crystal clear. and who knows if they will refund the money after they receive the products. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.