Return shipping fees for defective product not being charged through Paypal

Kapre
Contributor
Contributor

Hi:  

I purchased 2 hoverboards from a small/unknown (to me) sporting goods website and paid $229 each via Paypal.  One worked great but the other continuously cut off and would throw off the rider (my 10-year-old nephew).  

After a lot of back and forth with this company, I requested a return in line with their stated return policy for defective products.  This was supposed to be free shipping but they told me i would have to pay $35 for return shipping.  I just want to be finished with this so I agreed.

I assumed that i would be charged via paypal, but instead they sent me a payment link directing me to the website of a completely different sporting goods website (that I've never heard of).  The name given to the charge is "make up the difference."

I'm willing to pay the return but this just makes me uncomfortable.  I don't want to put my cc info in a strange website but I also wonder if I return this product in this manner, will i have any protection from Paypal?

Anyone else had an experience like this?  I rarely buy from small companies.  Is this something others have come across?  Should I bring Paypal into this in some way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Kapre
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advice.  I'm giving them a couple of days to make good on the return label but will start a dispute with PayPal if i don't hear from them soon.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kapre 

Personally I would do a Paypal dispute for item received but not as described and make sure you have activated the below link to claim back some of the return shipping costs if you win.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

However both are risky as you 'may' not win a paypal dispute. If you go ahead make sure you put in ALL the information you have said here before you escalate to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Kapre
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advice.  I'm giving them a couple of days to make good on the return label but will start a dispute with PayPal if i don't hear from them soon.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.