Return issues

bcatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I would like some advice on how to proceed in a really unpleasant situation which I've never seen myself in. 

I ordered a pair of sneakers online, all was good, got the sneakers home but had to return them for being too small. Since this company doesn't offer free returns I had to arrange and pay for the shipping to return. Sent through national post (CTT - Portuguese Mail) as registered & tracked mail. 

A week later I go check tracking and the info is that it's been delivered to "authorised person" in "undefined location". I freaked out a little bit because the last location didn't match the one I was sending to either, but decided to contact the company first before heading to the post. Company says they haven't received any package. Went to the post, turns out the shipping info was just incomplete online, I was shown and handed the full tracking information with a successful delivery to the correct post code. Contacted the company back (this was a week ago) and, until today, they're still claiming they can't "locate my package in the warehouse" which is odd, at least. 

Since this is beyond my fault and, besides, I have proof of delivery, I would like to open a dispute but I'm not sure how to proceed since this situation doesn't match any of the available options on the disputes page. What should I do? 

Thank you so much!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcatt 

If you paid with credit card, the contact your card issuer to dispute the transaction. Otherwise, locate the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute. This is the best option you can dispute with even though it is a buyer's remorse reason and not eligible for purchase protection. PayPal may or may not rule on it but you can use the PayPal dispute process to resolve the problem with the merchant, perhaps consider accepting a partial refund because "they can't find the return".

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcatt 

If you paid with credit card, the contact your card issuer to dispute the transaction. Otherwise, locate the payment transaction in your PayPal account activity, click it, then click "Report a problem" to file an Significantly Not As Described (SNAD) dispute. This is the best option you can dispute with even though it is a buyer's remorse reason and not eligible for purchase protection. PayPal may or may not rule on it but you can use the PayPal dispute process to resolve the problem with the merchant, perhaps consider accepting a partial refund because "they can't find the return".

Login to Me Too

bcatt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @sharpiemarker

Would it be at all worth contacting PayPal directly through support? Or should I just contact my bank directly and leave PayPal out of this one?

To be honest even though it's a reputable store I find it kinda phishy them claiming they "can't locate the package" after a week. Where else could it be then? Besides, the post has successful delivery information (on the correct address!) so there's not much more they can do on their end.

In any case, I'm not considering accepting a partial refund because they lost the package so I shouldn't be liable for it. It's not (or shouldn't be...) a customers' fault if companies hire irresponsible people to work at a warehouse. Of course mistakes/accidents happen to everyone everywhere but still, someone needs to take responsibility for that and it shouldn't be the customer.

Thank you so much!

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bcatt 

You can open a dispute on the transaction as previously suggested and provide all the pertinent information (tracking number or the information that was given to you of the return) and escalate it to a PayPal claim to see if you can get a ruling because you did return it successfully. If it fails, contact your bank or card issuer for recourse. It's not me you have to convince, just telling you the options, it's up to you how you want to handle it. Either through PayPal and/or through your payment method (bank/card). I would at least try to take advantage of what PayPal can do since it is there but you also can go to your  bank/card issuer.

Login to Me Too

bcatt
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker 

I wasn't trying to convince you - I was giving you accurate facts so you could help!

I will try and solve it through a PP claim with the steps you suggested, if it doesn't work I'll contact my bank.

Thank you so much 🙂 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.