Resolving a dispute with PayPal

RIAFT
New Community Member

In January 2019 I sold a book of which I am the author to a purchaser in Australia. He paid for it by PayPal and subsequently confirmed receipt of the book.

In July 2019 I received an email from PayPal saying that the purchaser had raised a dispute claiming non receipt of the book. I told PayPal that the book had been received and that I had written confirmation from the purchaser, but received an automated response reiterating that the purchaser had raised a claim.

I contacted the purchaser who said he had made a mistake and that the claim he had raised was in connection with an unrelated purchase and that he was not in dispute with me. He said he would contact PayPal to explain his error, and subsequently notified me that he had done so and that the matter should now be resolved.

I then received another email from PayPal telling me that the dispute had not been resolved, so I replied again reiterating the facts of the case.

In August I received an email from PayPal saying that my account was overdrawn and that I needed to deposit funds to resolve this. I was surprised that my account was in debit but nevertheless deposited the funds to clear the balance immediately.

I then checked my account and found that PayPal had made two payments to the purchaser, debiting a total of £41 from my account. This was the reason my account had appeared to be overdrawn.

Once again I contacted PayPal and sent copies of the communication from the purchaser confirming receipt of the book and that fact that his dispute was not with me. PayPal again ignored the information I sent them and replied with another automated message saying that they had found in favour of the purchaser and had refunded his payment from my account.

I telephoned PayPal this time and got through to the overseas call centre. Here I was told that because PayPal had found in favour of the purchaser and had already reimbursed him (from my account), it was now up to me to contact him to get the money back. This is outrageous. Can anyone please advise how I can take this further?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RIAFT 

The ONLY way to win a dispute for non receipt of item is to provide paypal with the tracking number that proves DELIVERY of the item to the buyer.

If you can't prove delivery then you will always lose an INR case.

As the buyer said it was a mistake then just send him a money request to pay again and hope he does so, if he does not then sadly not a lot you can do about it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RIAFT 

The ONLY way to win a dispute for non receipt of item is to provide paypal with the tracking number that proves DELIVERY of the item to the buyer.

If you can't prove delivery then you will always lose an INR case.

As the buyer said it was a mistake then just send him a money request to pay again and hope he does so, if he does not then sadly not a lot you can do about it.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.