Resolution centre, opening a closed case when new information comes to light.

Gzl
Contributor
Contributor

I had an issue with a retailer in the first week and opened a case. The retailer contacted me and asked me to close the case as they would help me fix the problem with the product. I closed the case. The problem was not fixed by a software download and they kept insisting the next update would do it, it didn’t. I then found out that the item was not registered to them by the manufacturer and therefore they should not have sold it. I realised at this time that I may have been sold a defective/repaired product or a parallel import. I have passed the 180 days and PayPal will not allow me to reopen the case and the retailer will not answer emails or the phone. Surely PayPal has an obligation to send me a refund or help pressurise the retailer?

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@kernowlass wrote:

@Brandon-P

Nope but it may have been a virtual item which is why if it was i have stated they would not be covered by buyer protection.

And again they may still be covered by their credit card as the 120 days is discretionary on the c..c company.

No harm at all in them trying which is why i said 'contact' your c.c. company if they funded their paypal payment that way and 'see' if they will do a chargeback.

Having been on here for 10 years with nearly 10,000 kudos / solutions then that advice has worked very well in the past.

Hi @kernowlass,

I do not dispute your statistics or credibility on the forum. I am presenting an alternative viewpoint, as I would not want them to set an expectation which may not lead to any resolution on their issue.

I used the words "no longer feasible" rather than "no longer possible" - in which I meant that it won't be a simple process and could present severe difficulty for a number of reasons.

Login to Me Too

Gzl
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks all for your opinions. I a, not sure of your terminology in terms of Virtual. For clarity this purchase was an optical thermal imager, and like most digital hardware is capable of receiving updates from the parent company. There is nothing I can find in PayPal’s terms that states Ithat in their buyer protection you can only open one dispute per transaction within the 180 days? I tried to open 2!

to be clear this device had and still has a fault in its function that the retailer confirmed would be updated and resolved. The CC company you keep referring to is a red herring and a poor attempt to pass on the responsibility to them  The responsibility is entirely with PayPal and falls within their buyer  protection scheme They advertise.

Login to Me Too

Brandon-P
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Gzl wrote:

Thanks all for your opinions. I a, not sure of your terminology in terms of Virtual. For clarity this purchase was an optical thermal imager, and like most digital hardware is capable of receiving updates from the parent company. There is nothing I can find in PayPal’s terms that states Ithat in their buyer protection you can only open one dispute per transaction within the 180 days? I tried to open 2!

to be clear this device had and still has a fault in its function that the retailer confirmed would be updated and resolved. The CC company you keep referring to is a red herring and a poor attempt to pass on the responsibility to them  The responsibility is entirely with PayPal and falls within their buyer  protection scheme They advertise.

Hi @Gzl,

I assumed it was a physical hardware, due to the statement about a software update. You would have been covered under Buyer Protection within that period of time. Your first dispute would have been such cover, however it was closed and therefore voided a future claim on it.

You should explain to the credit card company that PayPal provide 6 months protection. As this has now expired, someone else in the chain must now take responsibility for it. If the item costed more than £100, mention Section 75 to them, which can be filed for up-to 6 years.

You will have more luck with Section 75 than a chargeback, due to the time frame passed now.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gzl

Before you close a dispute paypal puts up a warning message to say you can't re-open a dispute or escalate it at anytime once closed.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.