Resolution Centre and Returns - hacked eBay accounts

Bonusssi
New Community Member

Hi. Since few days I am selling vouchers from PS4 bundle with code inside. Which can be listed as digital code but it's not in that case.

Most of the time, buyers ask me to send the code only via eBay message after payment to get instant access to items.

Looks like 5 was okay and now suddenly the rest of them, another 5 buyers got hacked, eBay account and PayPal stolen, unauthorised access... and after receiving the code, leaving the positive feedback- asking for refund, cancel the transaction. The worst thing - in 2 cases PayPal didn't even gave me a chance to explain anything, just took 57 £ straight away from my account to refund a money to a buyers (scammers?).

Is there any chance to avoid this type of situation? Still...Most of the payments are holded by eBay. When I was selling different things, like shoes - it was the same. I was waiting 2 weeks for money. Have around only positive 60 feedback. EBay says it's not their problem, it's a PayPal buyer protection issue.

Have a message from them, which I can share with You if needed. Cheers.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bonusssi

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

However you would not lose out either as long as you met ALL the requirements of seller protection, unfortunately paypal seller protection does not cover virtual or digital sales, you can sell them but at your own risk unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bonusssi
New Community Member
It's the same on eBay. I think PayPal should act faster, if system detect different IP. Should be around 24h to report it, in those days everyone have notifications and something like this can be easily detected by owners of the ACCOUNTS.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bonusssi

Trouble is that if you are using your paypal account somewhere else then it would have a different IP address.

Paypal does not know the payment was unauthorised until the person that may have been hijacked noticing it and if they don't check their accounts it can be a while before they do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.