Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

Confusedbythis
New Community Member

I received notification as well for id and proof of address and I never transfer money into Paypal to pay for anything, just sell and buy small things every once in a while paying with my connected credit card.  I am not handing over info either!  If they close my account I'll check out what the Bitcoin economy is all about, Paypal used to be pretty cool, now it seems like big brother. 

Login to Me Too

luckymom
New Community Member

This is what mine says when I log in:

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. We would like to return your account to regular standing as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

What is the problem?

• Jul 22, 2014: Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity using the information you provided, so we need some additional documentation from you.

Until this issue is resolved, you'll be able to log in to your PayPal account but you might not be able to add money to it or use some of your account features.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't feel like I should have to do this when I verified my account already (years ago).  It seems the payment I was trying to make the other day did go through, so I'm not sure I"m going to even worry about it.

Login to Me Too

Mikeforspokes
Contributor
Contributor

"Jul 22, 2014: Before we can offer you certain products and services, federal regulations require that we collect specific information to verify your identity. This information includes your name, address, date of birth, and National Tax ID or Social Security Number. We haven't been able to verify your identity using the information you provided, so we need some additional documentation from you.

Until this issue is resolved, you'll be able to log in to your PayPal account but you might not be able to add money to it or use some of your account features."

=======================

This is a US feature, but these demands from Paypal have been received by UK customers who are not subject to US regulations.

Paypal UK is a UK registered bank.

Yet Paypal are still insisting that some UK customers give this information and won't allow withdrawal of fundsuntil it is given.

Login to Me Too

Aussie_Brad
New Community Member

The same just happned to me, after years (possibly a deccade) of using paypal for hundreds of purchases. Mostly ebay purchases, all funded directly from my bank account and not one was ever disputed. Now all of a sudden they now want further verification of my ID.  I will be damed if I am going to send them a copy of my ID and SSN card.

I requested they close my account and I will find alternative methods for online payment. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Good Bye PayPal....

Login to Me Too

Baamaster

I have the very problem

@hfaldet3 wrote:

I too was just asked for a copy of my SSN!?

I was told there would be a restriction placed onto my account unless i faxed over a copy of my SSN, and that the document could not be older than 6 months. Whaaat?! Of course my SS card is older than 6 months, ive had it since i was born! haha

I just dont feel it necessary or safe to be sending this kind of info? Why do they need this? Ive been a member of paypal for over a decade, i caused nothing that would raise a red flag etc..anyone else have paypal ask for there SSN Card?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Anna

Hi Baamaster,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear that, however it’s usually very simple to complete the review steps.

The review is necessary as PayPal is a banking institution and is required to confirm customers’ details.

You can find more information about supplying the SSN on US Community Forum or following these links: http://ow.ly/GvvdS; http://ow.ly/GvviS; http://ow.ly/GvvlW.

Hope it helps.

Happy New Year!

Anna

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_Anna wrote:

Hi Baamaster,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

I’m sorry to hear that, however it’s usually very simple to complete the review steps.

The review is necessary as PayPal is a banking institution and is required to confirm customers’ details.

You can find more information about supplying the SSN on US Community Forum or following these links: http://ow.ly/GvvdS; http://ow.ly/GvviS; http://ow.ly/GvvlW.

Hope it helps.

Happy New Year!

Anna

Anna - Whilst this may be 'easy' and 'required' by US banking institutions it isnt required here in the UK. Also PayPal REALLY needs to think about its customer service approach when requesting this information. 

As a long time customer I received a very blunt and rude email demanding the information with no justification as to why they needed this information, no way for me to contact them in a simple and straight forward manner and a threat that if I didnt provide this information then my service would be cut.

If a high street 'bricks and mortar' bank acted in this manner then the press would be having a field day - however as PayPal is an invisable face it gets away with such behaviour. 

Everyone in the UK - If you get this demand do what I did: Send a copy of your passport but block out all of the numbers, the same with your proof of address, in this case I sent my driving license again with all of the important detail redacted. PayPal CANNOT contact these agencies to verify your data as this would be a direct viloation of the Data Protection Act. Also neither document was less than 6 months old - PayPal accepted this and unlocked my account.

Login to Me Too

ChinaManGoesMad
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys.

Recently I reached the limit of 2000 euros going into my paypal account, and now paypal are asking me to send in documents to verify who I am. I have sent in a bank statement aright but my trouble is them asking me to send in my passport.
What numbers am I allowed to block out on the passport ? And do I just need to show them my first name, surname and date of birth ?
Thanks in advance 🙂

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Arda

Hi ChinaManGoesMad,

All documents must be readable and fully visible. We don’t accept partial or covered documents. I am sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.

Thanks for posting.
Arda

Login to Me Too

Peanuts_mum
New Community Member
Perhaps we should enquire with the financial services ombudsman whether this is even legal?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.