Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

Britt92

This same thing happened to me....

I use paypal to pay for a subscription for a site. I think i'll be taking my business else where though and paying without the subscription. 

I'm never sending my information to an unknown person...

Login to Me Too

Kel7
New Community Member

Happened to me today.

I was setting up my account to get my bank verified (in Canada).

They sent me two test deposits

then after a few days said my bank reported a problem and that I should contact them.

So I did

and they said there was no problem.

So I tried re-verifying my bank account with paypal

this time they said further id needed

copy of account statement and photo id.

Given the shoddy communication I dont think I will.

Sounds like if I did pass this test, they would give me more in the future whenever I tried to use it for deposits.

Login to Me Too

Momela62
Contributor
Contributor

Same message as everyone else. The only other entity to ever ask for proof of address and SSN was the DMV for my first driver's lic. My mortgage only required photo ID as we were already in-person and it visually varefied we were who we said we were. The bank, every time I openned an account, only asked me to tell them my SSN they never actually asked to see the card. PayPal is out of line on this. I have a Pay Pal account that I use solely for monthly SKYPE acct payments and once a year charity auction purchases for a family member (all very tracible and long standing (10+ yrs)). I also have a PayPal Connect acct that I use like a credit card that reports to the credit agencies. Pay Pal Connect IS NOT EFFECTED  by this demand. What's up with that? The one section of Pay Pal that ought to be asking for clear ID is not. As Soon as I pay off the minor debt in PAy Pal Connect and find an alternate way to pay for Skype I am leaving PAy Pal. In today's world, people are very much more careful with their ID that ever before. There is no way I am handing over those documents without seeing the person on the other end in person. So, Pay Pal, unless you want to set up a service center in my state, you are just going to have to do without my personally identifying information. YOU DO NOT NEED IT!
Login to Me Too

Momela62
Contributor
Contributor

I'm updating my own reply.

In frustration I finally posted my situation on PayPal's facebook page. In less than 24 hrs I was contacted via FB messaging and my acct was cleared in less than a day after that.  It seems public  image is very valuable to them, and very effective when used against them as well.

Login to Me Too

magykmike
New Community Member

I was asked to send in a copy of my SOCIAL SECURITY CARD!

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor to explain the reasoning. I was transferred (finally) to a native English speaking person... IN SUPPORT!!! They said the same thing. I asked again to be transferred to a supervisor and was denied.

Their excuse was this: Being that they are an international company, they run an identity check for all new accounts... translation, they need to know who it is they will hunt down for unpaid fees. DO NOT SEND ANYONE A COPY OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, ESPECIALLY NOT FOR A PREPAID CARD!!!!

Instead, link your bank account to PayPal and they won't ask another question about it.

Whether there is malicious intent or not, big companies like this are huge targets for thieves. They WILL get your info at some point. Minimize your exposure by retaining as much information as possible and keeping your accounts down to 3 or fewer.

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

Hi magykmike - you comment

"Instead, link your bank account to PayPal and they won't ask another question about it."  is unfortunately wrong. 

I have had my bank account linked for years prior to PayPals request but still they got all big bully on me. In fact at the time I only had one credit card and my bank account linked.

Send them you details but block out parts or all of the numbers. In the UK we are covered/protected by the Data Protection Act so they cannot contact the passport office or the DVLA to verify your details as the law prevents it.

I sent them a copy of my DL and passport with all crucial info blanked out and they accepted it.

Login to Me Too

Ely_SG
Contributor
Contributor

I also received such an e-mail asking for the documents. Did Paypal give a reason for that? NO.

I asked back by e-mail why they need these documents.Did I ever get a reply? NO.

Does Paypal need regular clients? Obviously NO.

Will I ever use Paypal again? Definitely NO.

Bye bye, Paypal.

Login to Me Too

df1233adsf253af
New Community Member

It'll be a cold day in **bleep** before I send these people my photo ID.

Login to Me Too

Dwumbledoor

Can't believe I have to do any of this stuff It's asked me for 3 things also. Photo Id Proof of address and SSN honestly after this Im terminating my account. I really don't have the time to deal with this. Thanks Paypal

Login to Me Too

ent75
New Community Member

Ok, now all this happened to me. I have been buying hundreds of items using Payal account and have been using it more than 7 years already. And now I tried to sell my first item on Ebay, which had value of 50£. After first buyer paid for it, my account was restricted. So far I have sent to them:

1. Proof of business existence (2 documents)

2. Proof of shipping/delivery of items to buyer (2 documents)

3. Proof Of Name (copy of passport)

4. Proof of shipping/delivery of items to buyer

5. Proof Of Address

My account is still restricted. Funny is, that in one email to me, they suggested me to change my account profile, but how can I do that, when it is restricted?

When this pain is over, I would like to cloes my account, because I now have a fear, that this situation is going to repeat everytime when I sell something. 

Is there a alternative to Paypal, to connect with Ebay? Or it is the same mafia?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.