Request for Photo ID and proof of address

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

I have been asked to provide photo ID and proof of address for my account restrictions to be lifted. However no-one at PayPal is prepared to answer my questions:

Why all of a sudden do you need this - you are not asking anyone else in my family?

My account is verified - does this mean nothing?

Can I hide my passport number when I send it over? If not why not?

Why can't I use my driving license as both - it fits the criteria for both!

Why can your call centre not answer the simple question of why you need this information*?

* called today and was rudely told to just send it as they need it and he cannot tell me why and if I dont send it I cant use PayPal.

If my bank asked for this information they would at least have the decency to tell me why.

Login to Me Too
145 REPLIES 145

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @PayPal_Jessica - Thanks for your response however, please can you read the whole post before commenting. i am the OP and as I have explained numerous times I DONT RECEIVE MONEY in to my PayPal account, therefore I havent triggered any kind of limit yet I was asked for this information. I am sure this is the same for many who have commented here, we use PayPal to BUY things from ebay!

If the above statement is true then why dont PayPal state the reason on their demands for this information? Why when you speak to someone in customer service can they not explain why the account has been limited until the holder provides the information? Please can someone provide me with the legal documentation that states this? Why despite repeated request do PayPal ignore my subject access requests - there is a legal requirement to respond to these but PayPal ignore them?

Yes you are a regulated bank so therefore before you allow someone to open an account with you surely you should be requesting this information upfront? Even my own bricks and mortar bank has never requested photo ID.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi RED666S,

I understand your concern but since PayPal is an online bank and we don’t have direct contact with you, additional information may be required in order to confirm your identity.

There are different types of limitations and we can only provide general information here, I am afraid. However, you can find more details about the reasons why an account may be limited here

If you need additional information about your limitation, the best thing would be to contact us by phone or email  from the Contact us link in your PayPal account. We are also available on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

RED666S
Contributor
Contributor

Wow @PayPal_Jessica I think you have totally missed the whole point of this post that I created. 

My complaint was that PayPal are demanding this information in a rude and aggressive manner. They are not stating why they are requesting very sensitive information, they are just sending out an email that demands this information and threatens a withdrawal of services should we not comply.

A simply explination would go a long way to helping people understand. I emailed and called and was told simply to send the information because they had asked for it. No one would tell me why, no one would explain why my account was being limited, essentially it was a case of supply the information because!

PayPal be online or bricks and mortar but there are ways of treating customers and there are ways of not treating them. PayPal customer services need to take a deep and hard look at themselves and see how they are making their customers angry. 

No one like your self is going to ease customer concerns with simple cut and paste answers and ignoring what it is that we - PayPals customers are actually saying.

Login to Me Too

andrakon
New Community Member

all I did was try to get a debit card to use payal at stores and now I have to do this as well... need some help here..

I changed my mind on needing that card what should I do

Login to Me Too

bikerbabe6973
I was just wondering how long it would take to go through.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

Welcome to the PayPal Community.

I see you have not had a response to date. Maybe I can help.

Normally if you need to provide us information we generally have this reviewed within 24-48 hours.

-David R

Login to Me Too

huhuxadoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hello
I sent the documents
Also wrote message to support
In messages it was said you would reply within 24 hours
time is up. The answer is no
Please take action

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Huhuxadoo,

Thanks for posting in the forum. Sorry to hear that you haven't received an update yet. 

As advised by David, the review can take up to 48 hours in some cases.  You should receive more details by email as soon as the relevant team reviews.

I appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Jessica

Login to Me Too

huhuxadoo
Contributor
Contributor
are already the third day...... you can speed this up ?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Can I ask if your account is currently limited or do you only see a request for information?

You see, if there are no features affected in your account and you were asked for documents to lift the limits, the review can take longer. However, if your account is limited and the features are affected, the review would generally take only a few days. 

We wouldn't be able to follow up here, I am afraid but if your account is limited, please get in touch with us by email or phone from the Contact link in your PayPal account.

You can also contact us via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK or Twitter: @AskPayPal and we'll help you to follow up on this. 

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.