Refused buyer protection refund

Tracey435
New Community Member
Hi, Has anyone else had this issue. I ordered and paid for a star wars toy, when it arrived (very late) it was a knock off and of a different character to the toy I ordered. I requested a refund and PayPal said I had to return the item at my expense. The cost to return it to Hong Kong is AUD $33 and the refund will be AUD $56. When I wrote back to explain that my case was closed. I'm not sure what to do. I have no issues with returning it, but it seems ridiculous that I have to pay the postage when they sent me the wrong toy (even ignorinf the fact it is a knock off) .
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tracey435 

Sorry, purchase protection term is that buyer is not entitled to return postage in PayPal claims because PayPal cannot force seller to provide it, nor refund you more than what you originally paid. The seller can offer/provide return shipping costs or return label to you during the dispute (non-escalated) phase but have to follow through on it.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_AU#purchase-protection

"IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Buyer Protection Policy does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you incur."

However, PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

PayPal ruled in your favor forcing seller to accept return for refund so they did not ignore your claim of knockoff item. But, if you do not return it with proof of delivery, PayPal will deny your claim. Your other recourse is to dispute through your card issuer, if you paid with credit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tracey435 

Sorry, purchase protection term is that buyer is not entitled to return postage in PayPal claims because PayPal cannot force seller to provide it, nor refund you more than what you originally paid. The seller can offer/provide return shipping costs or return label to you during the dispute (non-escalated) phase but have to follow through on it.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_AU#purchase-protection

"IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Buyer Protection Policy does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you incur."

However, PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

PayPal ruled in your favor forcing seller to accept return for refund so they did not ignore your claim of knockoff item. But, if you do not return it with proof of delivery, PayPal will deny your claim. Your other recourse is to dispute through your card issuer, if you paid with credit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

mandav33
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the SAME exact problem with a buyer from China! My item is light, and I'm trying to respond in the dispute center and it keeps saying to me that "Something went wrong, try again!". My item was missing pieces and  stopped working. WHY do we have to pay the return shipping internationally for a scummy seller? I'll be calling them tomorrow. This is NONSENSE.

Login to Me Too

sanjonline
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same problem I bought a light from china and was sent something completely different, unfortunately from experience PayPal protects the scammers and offers no buyer protection.  

Paypal doesn't even look at the evidence nor do they care about the buyers, as far as they are concerned once you have parted with your money the deal is done, it doesn't matter what the seller does then, because paypal has received their payment they no longer care.  So beware when using paypal and don't count on their protection.

Login to Me Too

DCMoe13

I thought PayPal's buyer protection would protect me from scammers, but it is the other way around! I had a terrible experience and so I decided to write about it. If you want to contribute your experience, please contact me through my website at christinemcondo.com/contact.php. All responses will be anonymized.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.