Refunding an item but the buyer wants to wait for funds to return before shipping back

enochchan2010
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I recently sold an item and the buyer decided it was not for them. They asked me if I would accept a refund and I agreed. I issued a partial refund to cover the cost of my shipping back to the seller and the seller told me they would like to wait until the funds to return to her bank before she sends back my item. Is that okay? She said it could take 30 days for payment to return to her bank and I want to make sure that I am protected in case the seller does not ship.

Thank you

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@enochchan2010 wrote:

Hello all,

I recently sold an item and the buyer decided it was not for them. They asked me if I would accept a refund return and I agreed. I issued a partial refund to cover the cost of my shipping back to the seller buyer and the seller buyer told me they would like to wait until the funds to return to her bank before she sends back my item. Is that okay? She said it could take 30 days for payment to return to her bank and I want to make sure that I am protected in case the seller does not ship.

Thank you

If the buyer funded their payment with a card, refund could take a week up to 30 days for the card issuer to process. I would follow up with the buyer after a week and ask if the refund was processed by their card yet.

Generally, its customary to receive the return first and then issue refund. Was a PayPal dispute filed to facilitate this return transaction? Otherwise, its just an agreement between you and the buyer at this point and you have to trust each other. "Protection" don't figure into it unless PayPal knows about it via a dispute. I don't think it is possible on the recipient/seller side to file a dispute through the transaction, only from the sender/buyer side. But if the buyer does not return the item or don't respond, you can contact PayPal to see if you can open a report this issue to them. Perhaps they can open a dispute on their end.

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, scroll down to click CALL US.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@enochchan2010 wrote:

Hello all,

I recently sold an item and the buyer decided it was not for them. They asked me if I would accept a refund return and I agreed. I issued a partial refund to cover the cost of my shipping back to the seller buyer and the seller buyer told me they would like to wait until the funds to return to her bank before she sends back my item. Is that okay? She said it could take 30 days for payment to return to her bank and I want to make sure that I am protected in case the seller does not ship.

Thank you

If the buyer funded their payment with a card, refund could take a week up to 30 days for the card issuer to process. I would follow up with the buyer after a week and ask if the refund was processed by their card yet.

Generally, its customary to receive the return first and then issue refund. Was a PayPal dispute filed to facilitate this return transaction? Otherwise, its just an agreement between you and the buyer at this point and you have to trust each other. "Protection" don't figure into it unless PayPal knows about it via a dispute. I don't think it is possible on the recipient/seller side to file a dispute through the transaction, only from the sender/buyer side. But if the buyer does not return the item or don't respond, you can contact PayPal to see if you can open a report this issue to them. Perhaps they can open a dispute on their end.

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, scroll down to click CALL US.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.