cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunded, but not really...

Highlighted
New Community Member

Refunded, but not really...

I recently had my account compromised some how. The hacker gained access to my account and linked his card to my account. I'm pretty sure it was probably a burner rechargeable gift card or something similar. He then transferred $1700 from my balance to his card. After a few days and several conversations with support they, the investigation concluded that the transfers were unauthorized and agreed to refund me in full. I was absolutely elated. I had seen so many horror stories of PayPal refusing to issue refunds for similar problems. My mood quickly soured when the refund didn't show up even though it had been processed. After another day of talking with customer service, I came to realize why. I kept getting the line that the refund could only be issued to the original funding source. This is plainly stated in the transaction to have been my PayPal Cash Plus card and thereby, my account balance. However, I was informed that they, in fact, had sent my refund to the theif's card and claimed it was the original funding source. Just when I thought the frustration and anxiety were at an end, it begins all anew...

Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, how was it resolved? Any help would be appreciated greatly...

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Refunded, but not really...

They need to check their records because they made a mistake and sent it to the wrong thing. Continue to fight them or get legal actions involved because you're the victim of a crime and they know the person who did it and are aiding and abetting them by not returning the money to the proper person. It's theft pure and simple and they were the platform used to facilitate it so are responsible for fixing it. If a bank had this happen then they'd be held liable and you can do the same to PayPal. In the future, I don't recommend keeping large amounts of money with this card or with PayPal (essentially anything you can't lose) because their support seems less than useless anymore and they will sooner pocket a penny and leave you to dry than fix even their own mistakes or protect you.