Refund received for damaged goods, seller did not respond - do I need to return the damaged goods

intikuma
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received a damaged item and lodged a case through the resolution centre. I informed the seller this was the course of action I would take and they told me to go ahead. The seller did not respond at all through paypal when the case was lodged so the case was closed in my favour and the refund was issued. I've looked everywhere in the info I received from paypal and couldn't find anything that said I must return the damaged goods. The seller is now contacting me outside of paypal and asking me to send the item back - is this something I am supposed to do? I know if they had responded to the claim then I would have to have sent it back and the refund wouldn't have been processed until proof of the damaged item being returned was received, but in this instance where there was no contact from the seller I didn't think I needed to return?

Can someone please shed some light?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @intikuma 

Hope all is well and safe.  I'm so glad that your case was decided in your favor and that money is refunded. Now as to your question regarding the return of the item, well you do not have the obligation to return the item why? first the seller was already given appropriate time to respond on the case you filed but they did not respond i guess that is why case was closed in your favor. Second there is no directive coming from PayPal to return the item so that you will be refunded right? so it's not technically your fault and you were right had they responded to the case then it might be another story.  So bottom line right now is you are not obliged to return the item because the case is now closed in your favor and you are refunded back. I hope i was able to shed some light on this issue.  Stay safe.   

**** If you find my post very helpful enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Teddy25
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @intikuma 

Hope all is well and safe.  I'm so glad that your case was decided in your favor and that money is refunded. Now as to your question regarding the return of the item, well you do not have the obligation to return the item why? first the seller was already given appropriate time to respond on the case you filed but they did not respond i guess that is why case was closed in your favor. Second there is no directive coming from PayPal to return the item so that you will be refunded right? so it's not technically your fault and you were right had they responded to the case then it might be another story.  So bottom line right now is you are not obliged to return the item because the case is now closed in your favor and you are refunded back. I hope i was able to shed some light on this issue.  Stay safe.   

**** If you find my post very helpful enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution. ******

Login to Me Too

intikuma
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I thought that was the case but wanted to check

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.